Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Introducing raw feeding

As I am concerned about Pereg always being hungry now and gaining weight, I thought I would try her on a frozen raw chicken wing.

She had never had any raw meat, never had any bones, and never actually been given anything frozen.

So I managed to hack the pack to separate it and offered her a chicken wing. Frosen.

ZOOM into the salon, chomble chomble chomble and it was gone.

She would not have swallowed it whole would she? I mean she really was chombling it. It is just that there was not a crumb left within a couple of minutes of giving it to her.

Is it OK to give her maybe one frozen chicken wing a day? Not as main food but as a snack?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post

So I managed to hack the pack to separate it and offered her a chicken wing. Frosen.

ZOOM into the salon, chomble chomble chomble and it was gone.

She would not have swallowed it whole would she? I mean she really was chombling it. It is just that there was not a crumb left within a couple of minutes of giving it to her.

Is it OK to give her maybe one frozen chicken wing a day? Not as main food but as a snack?

She may well have swallowed it whole, dogs often do, they do not chew (they do not have jaws which move side to side nor flat molars to do this).

That is how dogs eat in the wild, chomp, tear, rip, crunch and swallow.

Yes you can give as snacks if you do not want to feed as a meal.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2011, 02:54 PM
She definitely did not swallow it whole - and the crunch crunch crunch was very loud indeed! I had bought a pack of frozen wings from the little shop across the road but I can buy fresh [not frozen] chicken pieces including wings, necks, carcasses - at the poulterers downtown, the wings costing very little and carcasses almost given away.

It is just that I had never given Pereg raw chicken before, nor had I ever given her anything frozen, and she sat watching me trying to hack this pack and then when I offered her a wing it was like "really?" and then she sat in her "please" position with her right front paw raised and across her chest, and when I said OK, you can have it it was ZOOM!

She definitely did not swallow it whole though - she is not big enough, and I definitely heard the bones crunching.

I do not honestly think I can change to a complete raw foods diet for Pereg, but am quite prepared to buy the chicken wings etc for her if they will be good for her. And if necessary I will buy another [but smaller] freezer as I can always stick it in the back room next to the tumble dryer...

She does get vitamin supplements - Omega 3 Fish Oil, Vitamin E and a Bcomplex [as well as the Tauring and Milkthistle to counter the Pb], and I just want to do the best I possibly can for her.

Because I love her.

Oh, but did she enjoy that chicken wing! And not even a crumb left on the couch
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Oh, but did she enjoy that chicken wing! And not even a crumb left on the couch
Yummy real food---She wasn't going to give you chance to take that of her.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Yummy real food---She wasn't going to give you chance to take that of her.
Actually she would have let me because she is a daft dog who loves me!

I have just been sitting on the kitchen floor with a Chinese cleaver and a hammer, bashing the solid lump of frozen chicken wings into reasonable size portions, and she sat watching with me with such a quizzical expression on her face...

...so of course I gave her some more, and it was definitely crunch crunch crunch and not just gulp and swallow.

Hopefully she will be OK to be left by herself on Wednesday in which case I will get a taxi into town to buy some fresh wings and maybe carcasses - I reckon I can sort my big freezer out to give me a free large drawer - and will definitely start looking for another freezer, although not the massive size as the one I now have, which I really need for my own food.

But oh the joy on her face and yes I do know that she cannot just live on chicken wings, but as an addition to her dried food and vegetables?

One question. What about chicken feet? I buy them, or rather am given them, as they are great added to carcasses etc for making chicken soup. Can I give Pereg raw chicken feet?

Questions, questions. Sorry.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Feet haven't been something on our menu but I don't see why not. Oh yes they do get satisfaction from food that they can have a real chomp on.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:42 PM

But oh the joy on her face and yes I do know that she cannot just live on chicken wings, but as an addition to her dried food and vegetables?

Some dogs DO live on just chicken wings.

One question. What about chicken feet? I buy them, or rather am given them, as they are great added to carcasses etc for making chicken soup. Can I give Pereg raw chicken feet?

Questions, questions. Sorry.

Yes you can give feet, I do when I can get them. A lot of people cannot cope with seeing feet in a dog's mouth though!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes you can give feet, I do when I can get them. A lot of people cannot cope with seeing feet in a dog's mouth though!
Ahem, you had better not see me with chicken feet then!

My neighbour has just been in with some vegetables and other things she bought for me, and will probably be going downtown to the old spice shuk where the poulterers are later this week, so will buy/scrounge what she can for me. It will all be fresh so I will be able to portion up and freeze myself.

Now to start looking for a small freezer... as I cannot always rely on her to buy what I need all the time although mostly she does, bless her.

I just cannot believe the look of sheer delight and pleasure on Pereg's face when she is offered a chunk of frozen chicken wing - I mean she brings it into the salon and hops onto the couch to chomble it, and there is no mess and not a crumb left. I mean wow!

Oh do I love her. So very very much.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I bet she loves you too! Especially now!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I bet she loves you too! Especially now!
9am yesterday she broke her seizure-free run. Seven weeks and two days, and then out of nowhere a full-blown major Grand Mal - and yet when she finally came out of it she just let me wipe her face, her mouth, her nose, her throat etc with a baby wipe, clean up her bum and undercarriage where she had lost control - if that does not show that she loves me then nothing will.

OK so she had a bad post-ictal day/evening after it, but she let me do what I had to and yes, that shows that she trusts me and loves me.

My Pereg is truly one very special dog - and it takes a special dog to put up with and cope with someone as disabled as I am, just as it takes, probably, a special person to put up with and cope with an epi dog like my beloved Pereg.

I think my sig says it all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >