Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 01:32 PM

How to stop dog dandruff?

How do you stop doggy dandruff? I have used Groomers evening primrose oil shampoo but my dog has a patch of danruff on his back above his tail , it seems to only happen in this one place, my friend has a black lab has also asked me this question.
thanks in advance Hayley
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 01:41 PM
You can get rid of dandruff by adding a tablespoon safflower oil to his food every day. He might need more liquid to improve his coat and skin. Try adding something with flavour to his water to encourage him to drink.

You can also try a colloidal oatmeal shampoo. Moisturizers help offset dryness and discomfort and help hydrate the skin. Use products made for dogs, of course. You can get them at a vets or ask your vet for reccomendations from a petstore.

(Remember to not continuue to self-treat any skin condition that isn't showing improvement in 3-6 weeks. If the condition has the appearence of pimples, prickly heat or is open and runny it isn't dandruff and you should see your vet about it.)

Hope all goes well
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by -GreyhoundGirl- View Post
You can get rid of dandruff by adding a tablespoon safflower oil to his food every day. He might need more liquid to improve his coat and skin. Try adding something with flavour to his water to encourage him to drink.

You can also try a colloidal oatmeal shampoo. Moisturizers help offset dryness and discomfort and help hydrate the skin. Use products made for dogs, of course. You can get them at a vets or ask your vet for reccomendations from a petstore.

(Remember to not continuue to self-treat any skin condition that isn't showing improvement in 3-6 weeks. If the condition has the appearence of pimples, prickly heat or is open and runny it isn't dandruff and you should see your vet about it.)

Hope all goes well
Thanks whats safflower oil ? never heard of it
I got the oil of evening shampoo cos it was good for skin will look out for oat meal thanks.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Hmm... Maybe it's a North-American thing...

Wikipedia: " Safflower oil is flavorless and colorless, and nutritionally similar to sunflower oil. It is used mainly as a cooking oil, in salad dressing, and for the production of margarine. It may also be taken as a nutritional supplement."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safflower_oil
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
thanks i'll see if its available locally.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Good luck!
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Thanks whats safflower oil ? never heard of it
I got the oil of evening shampoo cos it was good for skin will look out for oat meal thanks.
With the oatmeal shampoo, I use 'Coatex'. It is an Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo suitable for sensitive skin and it smells yummy too!