Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 12:29 PM

14 year old dog is skinny....

My boy has no known health problems but is getting VERY old. He's about 65 pounds now (about 30 kgs) but he's skinny. The vet said he was kind of skinny but that it was okay to keep him that way because of his age. I want him to gain JUST a little. I've tried EVERYTHING. More real meat, bacon grease, oils, cheap carb filled canned dog food (he won't eat dry food) His ribs show and when he bends deeply, his spine shows a little. He's meduim haired so it's kind of hard to tell just how skinny he is, but he's pretty darn skinny. Maybe it's not a good idea for me to try and get him to gain a few pounds? What do you guys think? Thanks for any input. By the way, I feed him canned dog food and raw/cooked diet once daily (he won't eat during the daytime hours) I've tried feeding him more (twice a day), and he'll eat during the REALLY early morning hours before the sun comes up (before I am usually even awake so it's a bother) but he still won't put on any weight. There is no way I could reduce his exercise, he wouldn't be happy. Here are photos of him so you can see what I mean...

zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:02 PM
wow he looks great for his age, and looks healthy to me, maybe it's just that you're used to him being chunkier, but less weight on his joints at his time of life has to be better than being overweight?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:05 PM
He looks amazing for his age
I might be wrong but I would be careful with the bacon fat, I know of a dog who ended up with pancreatitis from eating butter
I have heard good things of satan balls- just google the recipy

Will he take food if you are training him? you can give healthy treats that will feed him up

If he is happy with his exercise I wouldnt cut back - muscle is good and exercise can stimulate apetite

If your vet isnt too concerned then I would be happier
Has he lost weight recently or always been lean?? you can feel my boys spine - but thats just how he is
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
He looks amazing for his age
I might be wrong but I would be careful with the bacon fat, I know of a dog who ended up with pancreatitis from eating butter
I have heard good things of satan balls- just google the recipy

Will he take food if you are training him? you can give healthy treats that will feed him up

If he is happy with his exercise I wouldnt cut back - muscle is good and exercise can stimulate apetite

If your vet isnt too concerned then I would be happier
Has he lost weight recently or always been lean?? you can feel my boys spine - but thats just how he is
He's always been lean, but he used to weigh like 70 pounds this time last year. He doesn't get training, he's 14 years old. I give him crap like hot dogs and bologna for doing his tricks and being a good boy all the time too, which I forgot to mention. The vet said he's a little skinny but that it's okay because he's so old. But I think he looks a little scrawny and I was hoping I might get him back to 70 pounds, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen....
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 01:11 PM
They said if you neuter him he'll gain a bit of weight. But that's too drastic for a dog his age and it's not worth it if you ask me. Do you think it might be a good idea? I really don't like neutering male dogs (I'm fine with spaying females) so I'm probably not going to really consider it... but maybe!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Have you tried lamb and tripe? These are both good for getting weight on. As has been said, it is better for him to be a bit skinny to help his old joints.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Well I'm certainly no expert and you know your own dog better than anyone and know what he looked like with the extra weight but I think he looks good. If the vet confirms this and you have confidence in her then I wouldn't worry too much - certainly wouldn't be thinking about castrating him at this age, poor little soul....lol... I have a 4 year old GSD who is 33 kilos , he looks lean but is fit and healthy so I don't worry. For a 14 year old dog he looks brilliant.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Jeezo I was expecting pics of this emaciated dog, then I open the thread and he looks fantastic! Can't believe he is 14!!

A bit too skinny is always better health wise than a bit too fat
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2012, 05:28 PM
He looks just right to me but then I'm used to lean, fit agility dogs!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I think he looks great. My old girl is a bit on the lean side because i think its better for her joints. You know your boy though. x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >