View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Is high pitch whining and worrying at a bandage normal after stitches?

Hi guys. Need some advice, Copper cut his pawpad at the weekend and ended up needing a few stitches. Its been four hours now since i got him home and all he has done is spin around frantically, gnawing at licking at the bandage then lie down and whine/yelp for ten mins then go back to worrying at the bandage.

Should i be worried? He doesn't seem hot to touch, he ate his dinner and has had an Antibiotic injection and a painkiller?? I feel so bad for the poor boy
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Not sure, but Jimmi has had regular paw troubles which required bandaging after lancing etc., and on one occasion the nurse put the bandage on too tightly.........he was not at all happy and could not sleep or settle. He too kept whining and biting at the bandage and was in obvious pain.

Can you easily insert a finger under the bandage?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Not sure, but Jimmi has had regular paw troubles which required bandaging after lancing etc., and on one occasion the nurse put the bandage on too tightly.........he was not at all happy and could not sleep or settle. He too kept whining and biting at the bandage and was in obvious pain.

Can you easily insert a finger under the bandage?
Yeah i wondered that too but i can easily stick my fingers down the bandage. He is now almost falling asleep but then waking up with a start and whining/biting at bandage. Think i may phone the vet in the morning he seems really distressed
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
My first thought was too tight a bandage too. I think you are wise in 'phoning the vet if it carries on.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
It certainly is not normal to be so distressed, and I would definitely ring the vet first thing tomorrow. The bandage may be loose enough around the leg, but what about the foot?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Hmmm good point the foot part is rather tightly packed. I don't want to start fiddling with it in case I make things worse but I am def calling the vet in the morning my feeling is that it's more than just him unamused at the bandage being on or the throbbing from the wound?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Is the final bandage one of those stretchy non chew types? Can you gently unravel it and then re bandage? If it IS too tight, then the pain will get worse.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:52 PM
If he were mine, I'd loosen the bandage by taking it off and redoing it.

I once badly cut my foot and it was stitch and bandaged. The pain was agonising until the bandage was slackened off a little.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I used to put baby socks on Coco's feet when her allergies were bad and tape them up. She used to go beserk every time until she go used to it. Hopefully it's just the bandage being on her foot. I would loosen the bandage. Do you have a collar to stop her chewing it if you loosen it? xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 11:04 PM
no bandage is better than a tight one...if in doubt take it off! (but no licking allowed)

although he may just be in a dither from the drugs in his system..he needs to sleep
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >