Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Dog Allergies

Has anyone found that they have become allergic to a dog after a few months on them living with you?

I have developed a rash on my eyes and hand, doctors don't know what it is and assume it's some sort of contact dermatitis from an allergy.
The only thing I have changed is walking the dogs in a new place, and getting a puppy a few months ago.
I went to London overnight on Friday morning and my rash started to fade, I came home lat Saturday and my rash has come back a little on my eyes.
I haven't walked the dogs in the place I thought caused it, but I have been near my puppy
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Allergies can develop suddenly, but they can also go away. It might not necessarily be the puppy you're allergic to though - maybe something else in your house, or maybe even something on the pup, e.g. if the breeder/previous owner used a different flea treatment to what you use, perhaps the pup is shedding some through its skin and that's what you're reacting to.
You could perhaps try Petal Cleanse, it's a liquid for dander allergies, it breaks down the dander on the dog's coat. You just wipe it on with a cloth onto the dog, takes a little while to kick in apparently though.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, off to google petal cleanse.

My pup is a Dalmatian so constantly sheds, he is the first short haired dog I have had, my others have all been long haired and I have had them for 13 yrs with no problems at all, I am really hoping it's just something I have touched and it's a coincidence it has come back slightly.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Oh no sorry to hear about your problems xxxx

The shampoo that krlyr said sounds good and might be worth a try on some Clarityn Allergy to see if that helps. If it doesnt then it might not be an allergy??