Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Long Road Trip? - Your Experiences -X

Heyyah
Romeo is coming on his holidays to Dorset with us in 2 weeks!!
As we go abroad during the year and he stays with family, its not fair he doesnt get his holiday so we take him somewhere down south and we rent a cottage and walk walk walk!

This year we are heading for Dorset!
He handles the 12 hour ride really well.
Really want to hear your experiences!!!!

Shih_Tzu_Lover ( Hollie )
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
We take our two dogs on most of our holidays, never had any problems travelling with Kobe who is 7 he great traveller but Honey who is just 1 year and we only had her for around 4 months is always sick even if we out for an hour, she getting better though. We going to wales in september which will be around a 4 hr drive so dont know how she will be then,
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 12:39 PM
We've done 5 hours with our two in the car, have done it since they were 8 months old or so.

They don't seem to mind, as long as they are comfy in the car. When we stop for our comfort breaks, we get the dogs out and more often than not, they aren't interested in going to the toilet and would rather get back in the car!!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:17 PM
done 8 hrs up to Scotland, and the eejits are fine, Neam did used to be sick but is getting better all the time
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
We been all over the place with dogs and never had any trouble. We drive for two hours and then stop. They get a leg stretch and so do we. Also if the weather's half decent we picnic so the dogs can sit out with us and aren't left while eat.
By now Dale's learned to sit up and look hopeful when we leave a motorway and I'll swear they know when we head back north at the end of a holiday.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Withmost of mine I'd had no problems, but had one dog who always had an upset stomach when we arrived, my vet cured him by my stopping every hour & letting him out for a walkround the car. Had one friend whose dog was fine on motorways but sick if we had to do towns with any more than one roundabout. The only other dog I've ever had a problem with is Dax, who always trembled a little & was subdued in a car, but as he was 11 before he went in one & his first experience was when he was rehomed its hardly surprising.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
We've taken four dogs over to Prague and back on a couple of occasions now.

There were absolutely no problems - although they are all experienced show dogs so are used to travelling. We made sure we stopped every couple of hours or so (good for the drivers too) and took them out to stretch their legs, also offered them water.

The journey takes about 24 hours each way.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I've not taken mine with me on a very long trip yert but plan to take Zane with me maybe to Wales again or to the south somewhere (possibly Bude, Cornwall) if I can find somewhere available, that will accept him withuot it costing me an arm and a leg!

I hope to let him out of the car every 45-60 minutes or so to strethc his VERY long legs, to have a drink etc but he travel quite well so I don't forsee any problems.

Any ideas on where I could take him would be gratefully received!

Laura xx
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
We've taken our two gsds to France and back (2 days driving each way) and they were fine - we stopped every couple to few hours for a 15 min wander though.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
no probs with a long trip, motorways and a roads seem best

if b is driving and its twisty roads then mia can be sick, she is fine when i am driving