Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Advice needed re dog's nose-bleed

Cherry my female Kerry Blue terrier has been suffering from hayfever quite badly this year. She sneezes a lot and makes a honking sort of sound which I can only describe as the way Donald Duck used to speak!

I went to Sainsbury's last night and when I came back there were drops of blood all over our floor and she had a nose-bleed from her right-side of the nose. She seems not to be bothered about it but it has continued through the night albeit fortunately not much blood loss.

I've looked up the causes of nose-bleeds on dogs and I think it may be linked to the fact that she has been doing a lot of sneezing.

I don't know whether I need to take her to the vets or not-I got some homeopathic tablets for her hayfever and some non-drug homeopathic cream that is applied to the bottom of her nose and these have helped with her hayfever symptoms.

It's my day off today but I have promised to take my friend to the hospital for her operation as they said she needs someone with her so I really don't want to have to fit taking Cherry to the vets in my schedule today but I will if it is necessary of course.

Is this serious? Anyone else had any similar experiences with their dogs please? Should I be putting a cold compress to her head? Any advice received gratefully.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Could you phone the vet and have a chat ?

There could be many reasons maybe monitor it today and if it keeps happening then take her in if it does not happen again then it might be like you say due to sneezing.

I would personally have a chat with them on the phone and watch and note down if it keeps happening and if it does make an appointment to see the vet.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Agree with Lynn, I would at least speak to the vet on the phone as there are serious causes of nosebleeds and not so serious.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I would also give the vets a ring, one of my oldies had a nose bleed and it turned out to be very serious...not wanting to scare you at all, but better safe than sorry.

Hope Cherry is ok xx
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I left Cherry with my Mum yesterday while I took my friend to the vets. I warned Mum Cherry had a nose-bleed the previous night. When I got back to my Mum's there was a small amount of blood on the carpet but she seemed fine. Then this morning she was coughing and sneezing again so I booked her into the vets for this afternoon and she's got kennel cough.

Bit obvious really-don't know why I didn't think of this one. She is on antibiotics and pain-killers and the vet said I have to keep her away from other dogs for a month after the symptoms stop. This is the worst bit as I feel I need to keep Cherry "up to scratch" as it were and keep her being sociable to other dogs we meet, where appropriate but of course it can't be helped and I certainly don't want other people's dogs to be infected.

Jamie will be pleased as he has been on about cancer after he googled "nosebleeds in dogs" on the intranet-sometimes the intranet is not a helpful tool as you can think of the worst possible scenario-which thankfully it isn't!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:45 PM
did your vet also check up her nose for a foreign body?(grass seed etc)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
did your vet also check up her nose for a foreign body?(grass seed etc)
No-she mentioned this may be a possibility but said they normally work themselves down if so. She said if she doesn't get better or the symptoms continue to bring her back. I do feel bad as it never occurred to me she may have an infectitious disease and I let her meet a Labrador puppy in the vets today. However, the vet came out and told the owner off in the waiting room as he was letting the puppy meet all the other dogs and it was only 9 week's old. She told him to pick it up and not allow it on the floor.

I am not particularly impressed with our vets because of them not picking up Cherry's entropion for years and all the resulting discomfort she has been in as a consequence but I don't want to change vets at their age.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
No-she mentioned this may be a possibility but said they normally work themselves down if so. She said if she doesn't get better or the symptoms continue to bring her back. I do feel bad as it never occurred to me she may have an infectitious disease and I let her meet a Labrador puppy in the vets today. However, the vet came out and told the owner off in the waiting room as he was letting the puppy meet all the other dogs and it was only 9 week's old. She told him to pick it up and not allow it on the floor.

I am not particularly impressed with our vets because of them not picking up Cherry's entropion for years and all the resulting discomfort she has been in as a consequence but I don't want to change vets at their age.
grass seeds cant

dont feel bad you wasnt to know

hope she feels better soon.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
grass seeds cant

dont feel bad you wasnt to know

hope she feels better soon.
Thanks-just told Jamie and he can't believe I forgot to ask the vet about if Parker needs any treatment I just took Cherry to the vets so the vet may not have realised we had another dog at home. I will have to ring up tomorrow-obviously I can't keep them segregated and it would be too late now anyway!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm so pleased it is something so treatable...I expect Parker wil probably need some meds too if he hasn't had kc already, whenever we had kennel cough it would make it's way through those that hadn't had it before, those that had previously had it seemed immune, thankfully.

I was a bit worried for you as one of my old lads had a nose bleed just before we lost him, I didn't want to scare you though but would never have forgiven myself if I hadn't suggested the vet.

I hope Cherry soon feels a lot better xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >