Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I competed in the keepers class with my gwp, Teal. I did take Pippa, my working springer as I had entered her in the springer class but I missed it! I think the winner of that was a woman who just works her springers, and doesn't show.

There were actually quite a few people there who didn't show, just worked and went to show off their dogs and support the classes and BASC, who ran it.

Helen
ah thanks Helen, I dont really know much about these classes but had been under the impression they had many well bread worthy dogs in them,,, Do they have to gain qualification to enter like the other dogs, or is it a bit diffrent to the non {working show only dogs}if you know what I mean,
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I really fancy having a go at this with the rotts, if they took to it, which I think they would It would make such a diff to my life, walking the dogs is becoming a killer,
Oh, it's brilliant. We have a friend who is not really a doggy person at all, but one day we were out working the dogs and he wanted to come along, and with supervision and a bit of help, we let him have a go. I rode in front instructing the dogs, he rode on the rig, and hubby rode behind in case he fell off ....lol His face was like he had just had the most exhilarating experience of his life and he couldn't get over it. He still talks about it now and that was months ago Not sure how Rotts would stand up to it, because of their weight, muscle, structure etc. I'll look into it I'm sure they'd love it tho.

You could also get a springer for a mountain bike and do it that way. you could again take 2 at a time (after a bit of practice) and don't worry, no peddling involved there either

Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
duno how it would go should a rabbit pop its peepers up though, could end off wrapped round a tree
Yes well, we've had a few near misses, usually when my boy gets distracted (my Bitch stays focused no matter what) and he decides that the Swan on the river looks very interesting all of a sudden Picture this : Dogs standing feet in water, pulling the rig like hell to get to said swan who is making his own way towards the dogs to warn them off, Hubby also in the water, holding on to the Rig for dear life with one hand and holding ME with the other hand, who has to wrap myself round the nearest fence post Yes, calamity Jane, that's me

All in good fun though
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Oh, it's brilliant. We have a friend who is not really a doggy person at all, but one day we were out working the dogs and he wanted to come along, and with supervision and a bit of help, we let him have a go. I rode in front instructing the dogs, he rode on the rig, and hubby rode behind in case he fell off ....lol His face was like he had just had the most exhilarating experience of his life and he couldn't get over it. He still talks about it now and that was months ago Not sure how Rotts would stand up to it, because of their weight, muscle, structure etc. I'll look into it I'm sure they'd love it tho.

I had looked at the scooter just out of intrest on the net, it had a few pics of rotts doing it, not sure they would all take to it, but my lot love to let rip and have a run, dont think I would take it up as a sport, the rotts would slow alot quicker than yours I guess, not sure if they would stay focused for long distance,,, I just kinda thought that a few miles every other day would help with fitness and stamina... if you do find out of any rotts doing it I would love to hear, thanks for that,

You could also get a springer for a mountain bike and do it that way. you could again take 2 at a time (after a bit of practice) and don't worry, no peddling involved there either
I think I have heard megan mention them,,, what are they?

Yes well, we've had a few near misses, usually when my boy gets distracted (my Bitch stays focused no matter what) and he decides that the Swan on the river looks very interesting all of a sudden Picture this : Dogs standing feet in water, pulling the rig like hell to get to said swan who is making his own way towards the dogs to warn them off, Hubby also in the water, holding on to the Rig for dear life with one hand and holding ME with the other hand, who has to wrap myself round the nearest fence post Yes, calamity Jane, that's me

All in good fun though
lol you sound like me ,,,, I duno how I have lived this long some of the near misses I have had on the horses,,, makes me shiver just thinking about them .... lol
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Shona if you look here:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=64878

its all about the springer/how to use it lol cos i bugged myschievous and malday with a ton of questions, theres also a link or two with pics of them
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Do they have to gain qualification to enter like the other dogs, or is it a bit diffrent to the non {working show only dogs}if you know what I mean,
No, all you need is a gamekeeper to sign a form to say that the dog is worked.

It was nice to see a working english setter in the same class as me.

Helen
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I went to a rally where many owners/breeders of Mals/Huskies/CEDs attend adn run their dogs for fun or race them.
I didn't realise you had been to a rally! Are you doing any next season? Will you be running a two dog team?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I didn't realise you had been to a rally! Are you doing any next season? Will you be running a two dog team?
We've been to a few , but only participated in a couple. I enjoy the fun aspect of it more as apposed to the competition of it...........just wanted to prove a point really, as everyone kept telling me "Reds don't run", well my Boy is as red as they come and goes like S*** off a blanket....Gingers RULE :smt042 I would have like to do more, but to be honest, mine need some more work My boy has the stamina and 'Go', but not the focus, but my bitch has the focus, but isn't as fit as him My time is the problem really, and I don't have enough to dedicate to working them daily to get them ready Shame really, as I would love to see OH land in a heap on a trail (once again) :smt042
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Thinking of being able to do the job they were bred for we have a show winning newfie at the swimming where I take my dog who has to wear a lifejacket as he can't swim. Have met other dogs who can't swim but not another webtoed newfie who can't. Should this disqualify him from the breeding programme? He is improving & will hopefully be able to swim one day but at present he certainly can't do what he was bred for.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Thinking of being able to do the job they were bred for we have a show winning newfie at the swimming where I take my dog who has to wear a lifejacket as he can't swim. Have met other dogs who can't swim but not another webtoed newfie who can't. Should this disqualify him from the breeding programme? He is improving & will hopefully be able to swim one day but at present he certainly can't do what he was bred for.
Dogs can swim, whether they want to or not is another matter. It's an innate instinct for survival.

How do you know that if the situation arose, his 'instinct' wouldn't kick in and he would in fact do his job ???

All newfies in training/displays wear life jackets :smt001
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:59 PM
All I know is he's at the pool because he went with others to the newfie water training & had to be rescued from the water, so he's coming for help. None of her other dogs have any problem.
Page 53 of 54 « First < 3 43 50 51 52 53 54 >