Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Hi there
your method will certainly work but only providing the handler gives the treat at the right time. If she gives the treY to the dog as it starts whinning then it's back to square one.
What was the Listeners answer to this situation (is it a problem?)?
My method was and is working thanks.

The difficulty is that the owner will not be consistant in using it.

She has not yet been to visit this person.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
It's like teaching kids if you haven't got any yourself. Oh wait!!!

I'm not going to name the trainer in question but it didn't do her any harm!! Practical experience can be gotten from anywhere, in fact, a kennels is probably a good place.
Actually I teach kids so I do know it isn`t the same as living with them (Thank heavens)
I don`t believe you can know what it`s like to live with a dog if you`ve never done it.

When do you start your course BTW?
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Actually I teach kids so I do know it isn`t the same as living with them (Thank heavens)
I don`t believe you can know what it`s like to live with a dog if you`ve never done it.

When do you start your course BTW?

I'm on a British Institute of Proffesional Dogs Trainers residential course at the end of the month. I'm a bit nervous as it's constant assessing.
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
We employed the services of a Dog Listener with our last dog. All I can say is that it made our situation 100% worse. We stuck to the method for 4 weeks trying to follow it completely to the letter (which is impossible imho), and that was 4 weeks too many. We totally damaged the relationship with our dog which was a difficult one at the best of times.
Unfortunately this is what can happen when you apply an incorrect theory to a situation. I would go as far as saying that, on a cursory glance, it makes sense to say that dogs and wolves may live in similar fashions...but you can't go with gut feeling if you are dealing with actual animals, particularly if they don't belong to you. I hope your bond with your dog is now going uphill though

Originally Posted by rune View Post
i think it is vital to have lived with at least one dog. then you have half a chance fo understanding and picking upon nuances of body language and also of understanding that sometimes what is suggested can be difficult to do for some people.

training so often overlaps into behaviour and management.

rune
I completely agree.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
This is just for a week, which startled me a little. What do they cover?
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-08-2009, 05:39 AM
This is just for a week, which startled me a little. What do they cover?
This has nothing to do with Jan Fennell, Listeners or the title of my thread, but seeing as you asked.

I am going for my second grade (for assistant dog trainers) and it covers Heel on Lead, Heel Free. Novice Recall, finish to heel, retrieving various articles and introduction to scent. As well as the basics such as sit, down and stand.

It is a coaching/assessment week and designed to aid trainers to train owners, not necessarily to teach people to handle dogs. We already do that.
It us far from easy, believe me! Ask anyone in the training field about BIPDT!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie;1749398[B
]This has nothing to do with Jan Fennell, Listeners or the title of my thread, but seeing as you asked. [/B]

I am going for my second grade (for assistant dog trainers) and it covers Heel on Lead, Heel Free. Novice Recall, finish to heel, retrieving various articles and introduction to scent. As well as the basics such as sit, down and stand.
!
Don`t get snippy with me, young man! A forum thread is not `controlled` by the OP but the mods. They`ll let you know what is and isn`t allowed.
I learned these simple exercises 40 years ago. I know you`re just starting but that spirit of `I know best` won`t help you.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
This has nothing to do with Jan Fennell, Listeners or the title of my thread, but seeing as you asked.

It is a coaching/assessment week and designed to aid trainers to train owners, not necessarily to teach people to handle dogs. We already do that.
It us far from easy, believe me! Ask anyone in the training field about BIPDT!
LOL i know several people who did BIPDT courses. It may not be easy but it hasn't moved with the times as it ought to have done.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Don`t get snippy with me, young man! A forum thread is not `controlled` by the OP but the mods. They`ll let you know what is and isn`t allowed.
I learned these simple exercises 40 years ago. I know you`re just starting but that spirit of `I know best` won`t help you.
definatley not where dog training is concerned!(the 'i know best bit).....skuttles away and pretends to be working
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
If I knew best I certainly wouldn't be doing all these courses.
If it came out that way, then I apologise. I merely answered a question you directly asked. I gave a direct answer.

I'll find out if the BIPDT has moved on. I think they aren't bothered how you get a dog to sit, stay etc but more in how you get a class to do it.

However, I've been to therory courses, one where the trainer certainly hadn't moved on. He learned the basics forty years ago and it was shocking. He kicked dogs, jerked a dog four yards and advocated E-Collars and Prong Collars.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >