Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Gorgeous puppy shot that TW.

No Malka, we haven't discussed that option, but I think his dose is still on the low side - he's on 60 mg in the morning and 90 mg in the evening.

You never really get used to this, do you? But I am more positive because he's tolerating the PB really well so far - any ataxia I've posted about before (after increases in PB) has gone, it just took time and the fits aren't as nasty as they used to be. It's a matter of degree because a fit is still a fit. But thanks - that is an option to bear in mind. It's always good to have options, isn't it?
150mg/day is not that much - what does Loki weigh? Pereg was 20.8kg [overweight from starting on Pb] when we increased from 50mg BID to 50mg TID and it started having an effect within days. She is still on that dose even though she is down to 17kg [maybe even less now] because of being on a weight-loss diet, and I have no intention whatsoever to alter either the dosage or the timing.

She never was ataxic from the Pb, which is the only AED she has been on - the only ataxia [and blindness] has been during post-ictal periods.

They are all different, these epi dogs, and what suits one may not suit another. Pereg is, so far, one of the lucky ones in that her current dosage of Pb is right for her. So far. Others are not so lucky. Her blood tests all come back just about perfect and both Ram and I are sure that the supplements she has to help support her liver mean that the Pb is not causing any problems.

I am just so very lucky to have a vet who actually knows all about canine epilepsy and who is always prepared to sit and discuss it with me.

Pereg is not the same dog as she was back in October 2011 - she is just a normal healthy bouncy four-year old who just happens to be epi.

And I just forgot her birthday
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am just so very lucky to have a vet who actually knows all about canine epilepsy and who is always prepared to sit and discuss it with me.
And I just forgot her birthday
There's not many vets one can say that about so yes you are fortunate.

Happy Birthday dear Pereg
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Oh poor Pereg, mummy forgot your birthday ...... just like I did with Zena Happy Birthday Pereg

Afternoon Harvey, is this your first time in cos if it isn't then I missed you out Apologies, but glad you're here now You know what I'm like!!!
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
A big big thank you to all everyone and dogglets out there you have all kept me sane this past few weeks (this silly old leg of mine at one point I'd wished they had taken the leg off )
Just given the all clear that I can drive again o off to have a trip to Stirling or Perth tomorrow
Oh left yesterday so

on my jack jones so I can please myself
So thank you all once again
The puppy fix has been great ( they are such time wasters as you could watch them all day )
Thank you all soooooo much as Dogsey is so addictive I can't miss a day
Hope everyone is fit and well (or will be dogs also )
Thank everyone for the welcome you are all life savers
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Afternoon all,

Not managed out for our walk yet, had to go to the shops for some supplies. Gave my cousin a lift home cause I saw him waiting at a bus stop. Got my bits, returned home to a phone call from my tutor about my EMA, I've to email it to her before I edit anymore. So waiting to see what she says.

Also been reading for the assignment due in a couple of weeks, preparing my teaching programme for cadets, and getting organised for the other course that starts in February. The set books arrived for that today.

Still need to print the programme out, sort out which cadets need to pass what, and cook dinner....phew.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Happy birthday Pereg.

(Loki is about 30 kg or so - I just increased his PB to 90 mg twice a day.)
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Evening all, especially Norma..........have brought the magic bottle, so settle down with a drink and enjoy your Dogsey fix!!

I am delighted to see that Kyiro is having a tiny walk, and everything is crossed here that there are no repercussions so that he can shortly go a little further.

What great big grown up puppies Eating great big grown up bones I feel old all of a sudden

Have spent the day shopping (it's amazing how much extra stuff you need for when the sprogs dog sit for a couple of days), cleaning and ironing. Not happy because there are loads of things that I would rather have been doing! No news today on Father, and I am reluctant to ring my sister yet again because I know that she will contact me if there is any change at all, and I don't want to keep pestering her when she is shouldering the brunt of all this. Just one more day, then I will see him for myself.

I do hope that Loki is okay - I didn't realise what the name meant until I heard it on telly today!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Happy birthday Pereg.

(Loki is about 30 kg or so - I just increased his PB to 90 mg twice a day.)
Still not too much though Linda - 180mg/day at his weight considering that Pereg gets 150mg/day. You get Epiphen I think, which is in 60mg tabs? I get 100mg tabs so have to cut them and Pereg gets 50mg at 7am 3pm and 11pm.

Do you give Loki Milk Thistle and SAMe to help protect his liver? Oh, and Taurine? I cannot remember how long he has been on Pb as I think he started on Kbr, whereas Pereg has only been on Pb.

Sometimes I wonder why I am giving her so many supplements but then I just look at her blood test results, specifically liver function, and know that I am right in giving them to her.

Her Pb levels are under mid level at trough so we have scope to increase it if necessary, but for the moment... I mark on the calendar on the 1st of each month how many days she has been sz-free and as on 1 January it was one year and eighty-four days [but I have not just said that, have I.]

And this is the Pereg who was within an hour of being pts?

[Apologies to everyone for the epi chat - hopefully it will never be anything you ever have to deal with]
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Afternoon all

Aaaagghhh hospitals, they have no communication skills! I was supposed to pick my cousin up this morning, went to his home to pack his things (he's going back to the care home) rang them up, they didn't know where the dr was and would ring back, I gave them cousins phone number and heard nothing, I have been ringing them all day, have twice given them the residential home phone number and cousins number, kept ringing no joy in the end told them I was running out of time as I had to get home so they said they would transport him, got to the care home to drop off his things, they had received a call he had left the hospital 10 minutes before, we decided to wait, waited an hour and a half, rang the hospital and you've guessed it he was still there.

The only good thing was that we stripped the hall wallpaper whilst waiting for the elusive phone call so it wasn't a total waste of a day. Meanwhile they have rung my home phone number three times.

Rant over, feel better now!!

I will now read todays thread, hope you have all had a good day.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Norma808 View Post
A big big thank you to all everyone and dogglets out there you have all kept me sane this past few weeks (this silly old leg of mine at one point I'd wished they had taken the leg off )
Just given the all clear that I can drive again o off to have a trip to Stirling or Perth tomorrow
Oh left yesterday so

on my jack jones so I can please myself
So thank you all once again
The puppy fix has been great ( they are such time wasters as you could watch them all day )
Thank you all soooooo much as Dogsey is so addictive I can't miss a day
Hope everyone is fit and well (or will be dogs also )
Thank everyone for the welcome you are all life savers
Awww Norma you are more than welcome and it's lovely to hear that we've been a little bit of help to you in keeping your sanity of late......although of course, spending too much time in here you could lose it all again!!! I expect you've already sussed that bit though! So glad to hear you coming in with some good news about your leg and have a safe journey to Sterling or Perth tomorrow to meet up with the o/h

Originally Posted by lore View Post
Afternoon all,

Not managed out for our walk yet, had to go to the shops for some supplies. Gave my cousin a lift home cause I saw him waiting at a bus stop. Got my bits, returned home to a phone call from my tutor about my EMA, I've to email it to her before I edit anymore. So waiting to see what she says.

Also been reading for the assignment due in a couple of weeks, preparing my teaching programme for cadets, and getting organised for the other course that starts in February. The set books arrived for that today.

Still need to print the programme out, sort out which cadets need to pass what, and cook dinner....phew.
Not a lot to do then Lorraine, I think you need a quick swig of Sally's magic bottle before doing any of the above though don't you?!!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Evening all, especially Norma..........have brought the magic bottle, so settle down with a drink and enjoy your Dogsey fix!!

I am delighted to see that Kyiro is having a tiny walk, and everything is crossed here that there are no repercussions so that he can shortly go a little further.

What great big grown up puppies Eating great big grown up bones I feel old all of a sudden

Have spent the day shopping (it's amazing how much extra stuff you need for when the sprogs dog sit for a couple of days), cleaning and ironing. Not happy because there are loads of things that I would rather have been doing! No news today on Father, and I am reluctant to ring my sister yet again because I know that she will contact me if there is any change at all, and I don't want to keep pestering her when she is shouldering the brunt of all this. Just one more day, then I will see him for myself.

I do hope that Loki is okay - I didn't realise what the name meant until I heard it on telly today!
Evening old Bean Will be thinking of you tomorrow when you set off, I know it's a long old journey, but you can always stop off for a cuppa every few miles, but then o/h will keep needing the loo then won't he, I know mine always does. Hopefully, you will find your father in good spirits even though I'm assuming he's still in the original hospital? Give him lots of love and hugs he needs it, he needs reassurance, they get so very frightened in there ya know, just like we would, but worse when they're old and frail.xxx

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Afternoon all

Aaaagghhh hospitals, they have no communication skills! I was supposed to pick my cousin up this morning, went to his home to pack his things (he's going back to the care home) rang them up, they didn't know where the dr was and would ring back, I gave them cousins phone number and heard nothing, I have been ringing them all day, have twice given them the residential home phone number and cousins number, kept ringing no joy in the end told them I was running out of time as I had to get home so they said they would transport him, got to the care home to drop off his things, they had received a call he had left the hospital 10 minutes before, we decided to wait, waited an hour and a half, rang the hospital and you've guessed it he was still there.

The only good thing was that we stripped the hall wallpaper whilst waiting for the elusive phone call so it wasn't a total waste of a day. Meanwhile they have rung my home phone number three times.

Rant over, feel better now!!

I will now read todays thread, hope you have all had a good day.
Evening Gerry, and grrrrrrrr I'll do one for you cos it just reminds me of what I had with mum when she was in and out, in and out, sometimes they even got the day wrong let alone the time!!!! Well done for doing a bit of wallpaper stripping there though. Time to put those feet up and r-e-l-a-x now then *hands Gerry a large glass of red from Sally's bottle*
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »