View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
logan44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2009, 10:55 PM
My mum and dad have always had dogs , nainly it was Corgi's , don't see that many around now, they also had a norweigon buhound[ lol can,t spell ] called Zuki she looked like a little fox

I always loved dogs and knew i would have my own oneday
danielle0211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Since the day I was born! I have never been dogless and couldn't imagine it. When i was born we had an afghan and a GSD cross. Then a GSD X Lab, then we did puppy walkin gfor dogs for the disabled but only once because my mom found it too hard when they had to go to be trained. We then got Kered a GSD x Collie who got me into agility.
I then move out I still work Kered but I have a BSD and a GSD x Rotti of my own and my mom has just got a BSD puppy on the understanding that I will work her for her when she is old enough.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2009, 05:04 PM
How seriously? As far as I can remember, Boots was older than me. Went through a number of puppies that were mine. Most of them got killed on the road. By the 60's we were doing better. My dad wasn't up to hunting anymore, and gave our last dog away.

In 1973, my sister traded 2 surplus kittens for a puppy and passed the puppy on to me. He got regular vet visits, a fenced yard, and I actually bought a book and read it. I was probably correct in that I knew more about dogs than many dog owners. He still slept in a dog house outside at night. We put him to sleep in 1986. At the time I was out of work and expected to have to relocate, sell the house, etc. and we didn't get a dog.

By 1991, I had had all being without a dog I could take, and the kids wanted one too. One that would do more than tolerate them like the old one.

Still, there had been some problems we never solved, and I wasn't sure about a long term commitment. I won't buy into guilt for doing much of what was common at the time. I try not to bash others now.

I heard a dog guide school was looking for people to foster puppies. They give you a healthy, well bred puppy, a great manual, and mentoring. At the end of the year, you give it back, and they give you another puppy. What is the catch?

We soon found out how little we really knew about dogs. But we had the very best to learn from. There are easy solutions to many common problems. The better bred the dog, the fewer problems, although I did find myself noting they claim to be breeding intelligent dogs, not easy to handle.

We now have our 22'nd puppy since then counting the 3 our daughter raises since she was married.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 10:11 AM
dogs have always been in my life i was brought home to 3 papillons and a swedish vallhund (my mum still lived with her mum) i have never been without a dog, in between the papillon we took when we moved out we have had 2 rescue dogs and i now have my own dog a chinese crested powderpuff. so i have had dogs and been interested in them for 18 years although have only been showing for 1. i want to work with dogs in the future and will never be without one!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Never had a dog growing up, my Dad never liked dogs and my Mum is phobic, but I was dog crazy...

The first experience I can remember with dogs is the sort of story most people relate as to why they are afraid of dogs. I was visiting a friends house when I was about 5 and their German Shepherd grabbed me by my arm and shook me. I still have the scars. Somehow I knew it was my fault. I wanted to know what I had done and how I could change. Poor Sheba paid for the incident with her life and I never forgave myself.

I started to spend every moment reading dog books and trying to find excuses to spend time with friend's and neighbour's dogs... When I was 10 a rottweiller I was walking for a neighbour got into a fight with another dog and I was caught in between. Now both my arms bore scars.. But I had learned my lesson from Sheba. I cleaned up my own wounds and told no one, (luckily things healed well and though I am more scarred than perhaps otherwise.. I was fine) Bruno was not going to be put to sleep on my behalf...

I continued to offer a dog walking service throughout my school life and thanks to Bruno the rottweiller, Porthos the rhodesian ridgeback, and Mackie the Staffordshire, I learned how to break up a fight without getting hurt and became quite adept at reading dog body language and preventing fights from breaking out in the first place.

In my dreams I thought I would become a dog trainer or vet, but I had no support from my parents, indeed my parents didn't even know I was dog walking, and I couldn't find any advice or help as to how to go about it...

I got my first dog, Selkie when I went away to University in 1996. I knew this meant I could never go home again... and I have never looked back

Selkie and Pharaoh have 'cured' my parents... My Mum now has Pharaoh's sister Bizkit, who I hand reared with Pharaoh and my Dad is now looking to adopt a dog.
Patterdaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I have had dogs most of my life and will have them right until i die
I got my first dog 11 years ago when i was 4 and have had about 50-60 dogs living in my home since then (inlcuding litters that is)
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Since I was about 18-19. I was always a cat person when I was young, in fact I despised dogs. I'm 23 now, and after doing some work experience in a kennel I persuaded the family to get a dog from there, having started to not dislike them so much, hence the fact I wanted to volunteer there. I got to know all about dogs, the breeds etc, went to Crufts, got well into it. And I love my dog to pieces, can't live without her.
Lunas_Mama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I've loved all animals for as long as i can remember and still do to this day.
Shepherd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I loved dogs since I was a kid, always nagging my parents to get one (unsuccessfully! ) so as soon as I had a place of my own, I rescued Dash and now we're inseparable.
x_mazzie_x
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I've loved dogs ever since i was little, we've always had dogs in the family, my life wouldnt be the same if i didnt have a dog.
Page 11 of 15 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »