View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2006, 12:23 PM

Thinking of feeding raw?! (quantity for 15 kg bitch?)

Hi all!

I am planning on changing my babes diet as just not happy with it. I am looking into feeding her raw. She is a Staffie crossed with either lurcher or whippet (i think - rescued). She is just over 15kg (quiet slender dure to her cross). Roughly how much raw food should she get a day? I have an idea of the kind of food, just not 100% on how much. She's never been the biggest eater, but loves meat etc.

Thanks in Advance
Lis x
madhouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm sure there'll be loads of better advice than I'm going to give, 'cos I'm fairly new at it myself, but.....

We've had Odi just over 2 weeks now, and at first I was writing down quantities etc, and now I feed by eye. I put in his bowl as much as I think he'll eat in 10 minutes and then take the remainder away (and save for the next meal).

Today, so far, he's had 3 chicken wings for breakfast (because he refused to eat his beef mince ), 3 chicken drumsticks and a wing for lunch and he's supposed to be having half a pack of tripe for his tea, but seeing as he's on a "hungry" day he may well eat all 400g!!!! He also has 1 capsule of fish body oil and 1 garlic capsule per day, with a vit E every other day.

If he's looking a bit skinny (which seems to be permanently this week!) I give him more, if he starts to plump up...will he ever? then I'll cut it down a bit.

He's a 10 week old, 12kg Ridgeback btw.

When I initially read about feeding by eye before we got him, I was really confused, but the more meals he's had, the more relaxed I've become, and now I feel like an old hand!

HTH
Vicky
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2006, 03:48 PM
for an adult dog a good place to start is 2 to 3% of their body weight in food a day. If the dog needs to add a little weight then 2 to 3% of the ideal weight if the dog needs to loose a little then 2 to 3% of the weight they ideally should be.

Try those amounts and the go by look and feel and add or take away as applicable
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2006, 04:20 PM
That's great guys thanks, that's pretty much the same as i've heard from other raw feeders. Lets just hope she takes to it now .

Thanks again x
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:13 AM
good for you Vicky, nice to hear that your more relaxed about it now...
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 03:27 AM
At 32kg my dogs underweight but I'm struggling to get it up, I've never heard of doing it this way, ideally he should be no less than 35kg (I would imagine) but I'm really bad at maths what would be 3% of 35kg?
madhouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:37 AM
It'll be just over a kilo in weight (1.05 to be exact ).
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
It'll be just over a kilo in weight (1.05 to be exact ).
thank you!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:27 PM
That means he needs 250g more than what hes getting, thanks for that its a great help, I will increase by that much now & see how he goes.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
At 32kg my dogs underweight but I'm struggling to get it up, I've never heard of doing it this way, ideally he should be no less than 35kg (I would imagine) but I'm really bad at maths what would be 3% of 35kg?
Hi there to work out the % it is just 35 x 2% ( 2.5 or 3, whatever you choose)

Feeding 3% of 35kg may be a little to much to change to...I would see how he goes on 2.5% (of his ideal weight) first (too much food will only make him picky and maybe give him an upset tummy to often)

So 35 x 2.5% = 875g daily.

Keena needed to add some weight when we started out and she did great on 2.5% of her ideal weight and then I just made sure lots of breast of lamb and some tripe etc (good for keeping weight on) were included amongst all the other stuff. She is now at a really good weight. I found just getting them off kibble helped no end with weight because Keena esp was always like a rake on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >