Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 10:44 AM

Thinking about Raw feeding

So, I've been pondering on this for a while. I've always fed a really good quality kibble and I keep reading threads on here saying how good it is.

I have some questions though!
  • Am I able to combine Raw and Kibble? If so, how
  • How much will it cost. I'm guessing Max's adult weight of 40kg so I'm assuming a total of 60kg of Dog!?
  • Sounds daft, but how it will affect their poo?
  • What differences will I see in energy, drive, temprament?
  • What other differences wilol I notice?
  • What should I look out for?

Thanks!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
So, I've been pondering on this for a while. I've always fed a really good quality kibble and I keep reading threads on here saying how good it is.

One meal of Kibble and one of raw - it is advised never together as they digest different rates.
  • How much will it cost. I'm guessing Max's adult weight of 40kg so I'm assuming a total of 60kg of Dog!?

For my 30kg dog it costs about £30* a month (give or take, I do have visiting dogs who are on raw when here) But it depends what you get and your freezer size, if you buy in bulk it is cheaper. You have to do a bit of shopping around to find cheaper deals - if you use a butchers regularly they may have bits they can give you free. *he is raw fed every meal.

Their poo will be almost like clumps in a way, easier to pick up and if left in the sun - crumble away. White poo means you're feeding too much bone, runny poo - too much offal. It changes colour depending on what you've fed also. But you won't see these until your dog settles on to it.

Louie had more energy when I switched him over, but it wasn't hyperactivity! It is what I call manageable energy. His temperament hasn't changed and his drive is like the energy - there is slightly more but manageable (but the diet alone didn't help that - training does too)

Louie's coat was more shinier within 4 days (he's always had a good coat though) his teeth are in the competition running with CM and Simon Cowel (and I don't brush them, He doesn't have a doggy odour - much of one anyway even after he's been towel dried.. he loves his food and religiously waits at the pantry door around 5-6 ish when he is to be fed.

Thanks!
What should you look out for in terms of what? Concerns? Food? Suppliers?

HTH a little - I've only been raw feeding since Oct '11 so not years like some members. With raw feeding you're always learning new things though - before I switched over I wasn't interested in nutrition but then after hearing about raw it's fascinating (Or I'm weird )
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
What should you look out for in terms of what? Concerns? Food? Suppliers?

HTH a little - I've only been raw feeding since Oct '11 so not years like some members. With raw feeding you're always learning new things though - before I switched over I wasn't interested in nutrition but then after hearing about raw it's fascinating (Or I'm weird )
Many thanks for that post, very helpful

I am interested in the nutrition side as well, but in the past have concentrated on kibble content, guess I'm looking at raw as there's so much on forums saying how good it is, I can't ignore it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=nickmcmechan;2485600]So, I've been pondering on this for a while. I've always fed a really good quality kibble and I keep reading threads on here saying how good it is.

At one time I fed raw chicken wings for one meal and kibble for another.
    Then I added meat to the kibble for a while
    Then I left out the kibble.
    So - yes. It is possible.

My 4 are all between 32 and 42k (ish). I find that Shamus needs half of what Prince gets. And Daisy gets less than Prince but more than Raz. And Raz gets more than Shamus and less than Daisy.
    So amounts are a guesstimate at first then you adjust to the needs of your dog.

The 4 eat nearly a 2k bag of meat per day (£3) plus chicken wings. (£1) You can buy a lot cheaper if you have a friendly butcher but all the `waste` meat in Essex goes to the kebab shops. It`s cheaper if you buy in bulk obviously.

Much smaller (less waste).
    If it is too hard you feed some more offal, if too dark / loose, less. If like rocks - too much bone.

Depends on the dog.
    My lot improved in general health and the doats became full and glossy. They were pretty OK before temperament wise so no real change.
    But they now all polish their plates, whereas before they were picky.

Thanks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2012, 11:23 AM
You can as SLB says feed one meal of each, although mine are completely raw fed and we switched about 2 years ago from a quality kibble.
It cost me about £150 every 6 weeks or so for 6 dogs ranging from 46kgs, 36kgs, 35kgs. 18kgs,11kgs and 7kgs. I don't get anything for free, I buy from just one supplier which is the dog food company.
Their poo is perfectly formed into hard sausage shapes generally just the colour varies depending on what they've fed. Much easier to pick up.
I've seen no differences at all in their energy, drive or temprement. They were all fine before and still are.
I've noticed no physical differences at all tbh, their coats absolutely gleamed before and they still do. They were keen to eat their kibble and they are equally keen to eat raw.
You might need to keep an eye on their weight as all of mine gained weight when initially switched to raw so I had to lower the amount they were fed. Remember the percentages quoted are just a guideline.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=ClaireandDaisy;2485619]

At one time I fed raw chicken wings for one meal and kibble for another.
    Then I added meat to the kibble for a while
    Then I left out the kibble.
    So - yes. It is possible.

My 4 are all between 32 and 42k (ish). I find that Shamus needs half of what Prince gets. And Daisy gets less than Prince but more than Raz. And Raz gets more than Shamus and less than Daisy.
    So amounts are a guesstimate at first then you adjust to the needs of your dog.

The 4 eat nearly a 2k bag of meat per day (£3) plus chicken wings. (£1) You can buy a lot cheaper if you have a friendly butcher but all the `waste` meat in Essex goes to the kebab shops. It`s cheaper if you buy in bulk obviously.

Much smaller (less waste).
    If it is too hard you feed some more offal, if too dark / loose, less. If like rocks - too much bone.

Depends on the dog.
    My lot improved in general health and the doats became full and glossy. They were pretty OK before temperament wise so no real change.
    But they now all polish their plates, whereas before they were picky.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You can as SLB says feed one meal of each, although mine are completely raw fed and we switched about 2 years ago from a quality kibble.
It cost me about £150 every 6 weeks or so for 6 dogs ranging from 46kgs, 36kgs, 35kgs. 18kgs,11kgs and 7kgs. I don't get anything for free, I buy from just one supplier which is the dog food company.
Their poo is perfectly formed into hard sausage shapes generally just the colour varies depending on what they've fed. Much easier to pick up.
I've seen no differences at all in their energy, drive or temprement. They were all fine before and still are.
I've noticed no physical differences at all tbh, their coats absolutely gleamed before and they still do. They were keen to eat their kibble and they are equally keen to eat raw.
You might need to keep an eye on their weight as all of mine gained weight when initially switched to raw so I had to lower the amount they were fed. Remember the percentages quoted are just a guideline.
great posts thanks, think I am seeing some similar themes coming thorugh already

seems like at some point moved away from kibble altogether, bu ti would still want to keep kibble going as i feed stuffed kongs / bones if we are going out for any length of time to keep them occupied

freezer size might be an issue
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2012, 11:41 AM
at freezer size, I bought the biggest I could find and keep it in the garage just for them but I could have more frequent deliveries if necessary.
Mine will still happily eat kibble, I found a bag in the cupboard the other week and scattered a load over the floor for them and they dived on it, they still love their gravy bones too. I'm not that strict about it, they still get left over rice and pasta too because no matter how hard I try I always cook to much, they tend to have that with their pilchards.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks!
1 Yes of course you can combine raw and kibble, either in the same meal or one meal raw and another of kibble. There is no evidence based research to uphold the commonly held myth that raw and commercial food are digested at different rates.

There is plenty of information to that effect on the internet, none of which is supported by relevant texts by those qualified in canine nutrition.

In fact Lew Olson (who has a PhD in nutrition) explains in her (very good book) that is perfectly feasible to mix both and of course thousands of people do so very effectively all over the world. I have done it myself if I have run short of raw for any reason.

See here:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...d-with-kibble/

How much will it cost? How long is a piece of string, a lot depends on how much your dog eats (for example my GSD eats WAY more than the 2 - 3% ratio), where you source it, how much you can get for free, if you can bulk buy etc.

Generally speaking stools tend to be smaller and firmer, although feeding a lot of offal, fruit and vegetables will have a laxative effect and bone creates the opposite effect.

Food should not affect your dog's temperament or drive, in general you would hope for an increase in overall health long term.

I have fed one dog raw since before I had him at 7 weeks, the elder dog raw for nearly 11 years eg after 12 months.

I am not really sure what your other questions refer to.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Would just like to add that I very often combine raw with cooked/tinned/kibble etc in the same meal with no problem
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I feed half and half.

I was hoping to feed completely raw, but it was just going to work out too expensive for me to do and also it is hard to find suppliers who deliver to where I live.

Sometimes I feed one meal of raw and one of kibble, but often times I also feed one of raw (say chicken wings for brekkie) and then they have kibble mixed with raw ox cheek for tea. I haven't had any problems doing so.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >