Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2018, 12:30 AM

A companion

My dear wife thinks a companion would be good for Max.They could play together avoid boredom.
I just don't know. Max seems relaxed with us and he is a perfect gentleman in public. The only time he ever gets irked is when another dog gets too close to myself or my dear wife.

He usually just sends the on their way with that intense collie stare
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2018, 08:44 AM
I sounds like a good idea Besoeker. He would soon learn to share you. I assume you would go for another rescue and more likely a collie, just make sure it is a young one that Max can train!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2018, 09:05 AM
I thought the same when I had my Sam (Border Collie). Great in theory, but not so much in practice.

In came Jade (mix and match) and, although they tolerated each other, they were never the great friends we hoped they would be.

Sam was quite content to be an only dog and his bond with us was incredible. I upset the apple cart bringing Jade in, and much as I loved her to bits, I regretted the decision for Sam's sake.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Beseoker - There is not a simple answer to your dilema (If I may put it that way )

As Chris has said it does not always result in love and happiness. We have to remember that dogs don't think in the same terms as humans and that the 'pack' hierachy' is very important.

To give you an example based on my own experience. When we got Baruska she was clearly very intelligent and I thought she often looked bored when my wife & I were engaged in activities that didn't involve her (Shopping, gardening, workshop, TV etc.)

So we decided to get a companion, this is 15 years ago and I was a bit naive, I thought they would play and run around and generally keep each other occupied. So seven week old Rianna came home to us.

What happened..............well Baruska (Who I latter found out was a dedicated 'pack leader') began to discipline little Rianna and it sounded horrible, lots of growling and chasing her (Rianna) around the room like she was going to kill her

This went on for at least three months, luckily Rianna was pretty clued up as well and she decided she would NOT challenge Baruska for the 'pack leader' role, instead she submitted and became the junior in the team.

And from then on there was never ever any problems, but they were never close, never sleept next to each other, never went to the others food bowl. On our walks they did support each other e.g. when chasing deer Baruska would go one way and Rianna the other to form a kind of 'pincer movement' (It never worked the deer were too fast )

So if you go ahead you must be sure how Max will view the newcomer, will he want to be the 'pack leader' or will the newcommer want to be the leader. If you get a female will you have Max neutered

So meeting on neutral territory is essential in my view, and not just once but several times, if the new dog is a rescue you need to find out a lot about him/her.

I would suggest a girl, and one who is much younger, then Max can stay as 'pack leader' and the newcommer can accept the status quo.

There are so many dogs that need a good home, it's a wonderful idea, just take your time and don't expect them to react like a human would

Sorry long post (Unusual for me ) just wanted to recount our experiences.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
they were never the great friends we hoped they would be.
Yes, if you read my post above you'll see that I was also hoping for great freindship and love, it didn't happen, but latter (over the years) I realised I was thinking in human terms.

Dogs don't work that way, so long as the pack is secure, has food and water, they are happy to accept the 'status quo' and each will defend the pack with their life if necessary.

We (as humans) will forsee a problem when the 'leader' becomes old and weak, then a younger dog must take over, to us humans that can seem nasty and we don't physically fight for leadership**, but it's the only way a dogs genes work.

Like you I did wonder if we did the right thing to bring Rianna into our home, but I now firmly believe that Baruska would have layed down her life to protect Rianna once the hierachy was established.

** Actually this is not true, you only have to look at the leaders of many African / Asian countries to see that
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Yes. Lots of ifs and buts. Max is a big, gentle beast. Makes friends when we are out strolling. But when he is on his own home turf would he accept an interloper? Playing with "his" toys. I just don't know. He does play with other dogs but I'd hate for it to go all horribly wrong for either.

The jury is still sitting on the fence.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Yes. Lots of ifs and buts. Max is a big, gentle beast. Makes friends when we are out strolling. But when he is on his own home turf would he accept an interloper? Playing with "his" toys. I just don't know. He does play with other dogs but I'd hate for it to go all horribly wrong for either.

The jury is still sitting on the fence.
And I still don't know. Maybe a cat. He sees a few on our walks, gives them a stare but doesn't often chase them. Especially not those he regularly encounters.

It would be good if we could borrow one for a day or so.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2018, 12:14 PM
If you play and walk enough with Max then he wont get bored.
Sometimes two dogs can be double the trouble.
Would you get a puppy or adult dog?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
If you play and walk enough with Max then he wont get bored.
Sometimes two dogs can be double the trouble.
Would you get a puppy or adult dog?
Max gets walked around 10 miles a day - off the lead so his walks are much more by the time he chases, investigates, follows my instructions to round up imaginary squirrels. And he plays tog o' war with his rope toys and things. He is a big, active dog. Yes, he he gets lots of exercise and activity.

My dear wife thought about an older dog. Max is very good with puppies and small dogs. Indifferent perhaps - even with those that bark in his face or bite his magnificent tail.

Jury still out.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Has the jury decided yet?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >