Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Noise sensitivity in border collie

Hi, Skye is a 5yr old bc. Rescued. We have been working on his 'issues' since we got him. Had behaviourists and various drugs but his sensitivity to noise is a nightmare. He's not enjoyed the summer so much as all the windows have been open due to the weather. Any tips out there. Behaviourist told us to ignore behaviour but that was a disaster and damn near killed me too! All not so bad ..... He was swimming today, had a great time and is currently fast asleep. I just want him to find the peace that comes so naturally to my other dog.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 05:46 PM
What have you been told to do with him and what drugs have been used?
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:09 PM
First behaviourist said we were to act natural to show him there was nothing to fear. Sound logic but didn't work in reality. Second behaviourist wanted us to make him ball obsessed so he didn't react to things that upset him. He's has adaptil pills, plug ins and collars. The collars and pills did work to a degree. He was on zyklene which helped a bit. He's on Valium on firework night. Built a den in a cupboard and various other palaver but he just wanted to shake next to us (despite us getting in den!).
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Poor Skye, I feel so sorry for dogs that suffer like this.
I haven't got any suggestions but hugs to the pair of you.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Do you know anything about his background prior to being in rescue?
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Poor Skye, I feel so sorry for dogs that suffer like this.
I haven't got any suggestions but hugs to the pair of you.
Thank you so much.
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Do you know anything about his background prior to being in rescue?
I only know the area he was picked up in. I think he was collected when a big football match was on! He hates anyone in that teams colours! Actually, correction ... He hated! We have sorted that! he's a typical bc. Chasing cars, trains (if I let him obviously) etc. To be fair I have rescued dogs in much worse condition and certainly the appearance of more abuse. He had a semblance of training and was toilet trained when we got him at 6 mths. Something traumatic has happened. My vet thinks he has post traumatic stress disorder. He's very special (to me anyway!)
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ginge2602 View Post
First behaviourist said we were to act natural to show him there was nothing to fear. Sound logic but didn't work in reality.
I have never known that to work, I prefer to give cuddles

Second behaviourist wanted us to make him ball obsessed so he didn't react to things that upset him. He's has adaptil pills, plug ins and collars. The collars and pills did work to a degree. He was on zyklene which helped a bit. He's on Valium on firework night. Built a den in a cupboard and various other palaver but he just wanted to shake next to us (despite us getting in den!).
I used to have a dog that was so frightened of thunder and fireworks that he would try and run up a wall, I had to try and catch him as he raced past to stop him hurting himself. Like you I tried a lot of things but the only thing that worked was Serene-um, I would start about now to give it to him for Bonfire Night, it did help him but doesn't help all dogs but may be worth a try.

What helped as well was TTouch, there is a lot of information on the internet about it and it is very easy to do, if you are interested and don't understand what you find just say. It is just doing 1 and a quarter circles in certain positions on your dog, it is amazing how it helps them. I saw Joe go from a panic attack to being fast asleep within 10 minutes with TTouch, wasn't me doing it but a TTouch practitioner.
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Many thanks mattie. I have been reading tt touch. Tried a bit on his ears. Will read a bit more so I'm confident when I do it. I wish I was an engineer and I'd design some dog earplugs!