Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Squirrels - where do you stand?

This stems from a picture of a poor unfortunate grey Squirrel that Leanne posted on a raw feeding page on that well known, marmite social networking site. Of course someone got fed and red mixed up and now a debate is going on Squirrels found at the side of the road and now other roadkill as well. Including someone saying "If you have a dog you should be able to afford to feed it" instead of feeding road kill.

Anyway I posted up some links about Grey Squirrels and the damage they have caused to our eco system etc etc. But where do you stand with the whole Squirrel thing.

Personally,I am with Prince Charles, I think there should be a cull of the Grey Squirrel, however my animal lover side comes into play and I think that the numbers should be managed rather than eradicated.

Bit of an odd thread to start but hey ho..
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2012, 09:32 PM
No questions, the grey are vermin and need to be treated as such and dealt with accordingly.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:35 PM
There are still some red ones not far away from here, and some up at my mums
But the grays are killing them in so many ways I dont know if we could even effectivly cull them - but if we could manage them/steralise whatever

I hope we can do something - I love the red ones
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't necessarily be against a cull but surely it's too late by now?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I would gladly kill EVERY Grey Squirrel I saw. I shoot them at every opportunity. They have driven our native Reds to near extinction and they have gone from many parts. They should be culled completely.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I think steps should be being put in place to reduce numbers, and more should be done to help the reds tbh. And I also think that more people should realise what has happened and learn from it, but people still continue to mess with nature
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't care really. Their numbers are massive and they are prolific breeders so I don't see what a cull would achieve long term. It is a shame the red squirrels have been driven to near extinction but it is what is. It isn't the grey squirrels fault the were introduced by MAN and the problem got out of control.

My Bo does a good job at keeping the local squirrel population at bay -- she is an excellent squirrel dispatcher!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Someone who used to be a member here, who I remain in touch with, "Het" with the GSP's has and for some years has had red squirrels in her back yard. Seeing those pics makes one realise, the greys needs removing.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't agree with a cull... I wish they weren't causing the numbers of reds to decline, but it is, once again, a human screw up. People need to learn to stop messing with things...

I also think they are so widespread, and common, that a cull would be very difficult.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 01:04 AM
My brother in law lives on the edge of town with a massive garden part of which he leaves as nature intended. Into the garden regularly comes Foxes and Badgers and various other woodland creatures and lately over the past year or so, a family of grey squirrels

Today we were up at my sisters for a visit and sitting in the conservatory and we were captivated by a very entertaining little grey squirrel who was up an down the trees at the bird feeders, filling his little mouth and then scampering back and forth to hide his stash of food. Up close through the binoculars, he has a very cute little squirrel face with russet colouring.

It is a shame the red squirrel has declined however i would not wish this little fellow and his family ill. As others have said, it is man at fault and man who introduced them into GB.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »