Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2008, 10:03 AM

walnuts?

HI!

We have a lot of walnut trees and therefore a lot of walnuts.
Do you think that it is vise to give some to my Sammy?Yes, no and why? Should I mix them with food or give him whole?

He sometimes goes under the trees and picks a walnut and eat it (just the middle, he spits the outside).
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
He sometimes goes under the trees and picks a walnut and eat it (just the middle, he spits the outside).
That's exactly what our two do .........So far we've seen no ill effects but I will be interested to see if anyone knows for sure if walnuts are OK for dogs.

On another thread someone was warning about the danger of 'Macedona Nuts'

I think that's how you spell it, not sure, but they are lethal for dogs apparently.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't have a tree, but I buy mixed fruit and nuts every week and Marius adores the brazil nuts in particular!

He's never had any ill effects, although I do restrict his intake!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2008, 10:55 PM
HI there,

My registered name is ' B..... Hazel Nut' with us - we English Setters find nuts tasty, but they tend to pass though us whole - our Mother can confirm.

WE cant comment on macademia nuts but we have eaten all sorts of others with no ill effects.

However, if your dog is breaking the shells with his teeth I would be concerned for his teeth and also his insides if he is swallowing parts of the (sharp) broken shells. (We dont want to pay our wonderful vets any more then we have to - do we ?)

Thalice- Malice
:smt077