Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Toilet training... its been 9 weeks

i cant remember it taking this long with the other 2

it's the only thing about millie i hate lol!!!!

shes been dry for 2 nites on the run (about 2 weeks ago) since then shes had at least 1 wee and 1 poo every night - and it's not always on the paper

shes in the kitchen - which she has the run of at night - she cant be locked in her cage because if she has to go - she does and rolls in it - puppy pads in the cage make no differnece.

she goes to bed about 10ish - and i gt up to see to her about 7ish - her choice she wants to sleep by then

she never messes on the carpet anymore int te houese - i make sure she's 'been' before she comes in

my mums getting sick of it now - which i understand and we are moving house soon and the idea was she was supposed to be dry before we move (in 2 weeks!!)

so what do i do or try??? she is dry sleeping in my room but she also likes to eat my hair and sleep on my head so that dosent work for me

please dont suggest getting up in the night because i cant do it - i need my sleep and have a very busy life - its hard enough getting up in a morning lol!!

any ideas welcome
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Have you read Minihaha's article on housetraining? You might get some tips you have not tried there

Click Here
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Your not gonna like it... but getting up in the night is the way to do it... puppy needs to go it needs to go... won't be for long though, will soon get to know where it allowed to go and will soon be able to last through the night... but for now 10pm till 7am is a long time for a pup to stay dry... sorry
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 02:38 PM
i have this problem with suki she knows were she needs to go she just cant tell us. when i kept her in her cage at nite she would go during the nite the moment i kept her out of the cage in our room she stopped, most accidents are near the door. what about putting the cage in your room??
ATD xxx
sooty
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Hiya, sorry to hear of your troubles!
We had the same problem with my little doggy(shih tzu) in my opinion the best bet is to get rid of any paper and puppy pads, i think this prolongs toilet training and also confuses the dog, start putting her out when you see she wants to go, or after playing/training etc........let her out just before you go to bed, and again as soo as you get up!
Make sure your cleaning the floor properly where she is doing her business, because if she can still smaell it she will carry on 'going' there!
Do you clicker train or anything with her??
I have 'potty' on cue now, i tell her to go she goes!!
good luck with it all x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Your not gonna like it... but getting up in the night is the way to do it... puppy needs to go it needs to go... won't be for long though, will soon get to know where it allowed to go and will soon be able to last through the night... but for now 10pm till 7am is a long time for a pup to stay dry... sorry
- ditto - sorry!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
shes pretty good - if theres paper down and we dont notice her standing by the door - she pees and looks really guilty - when its my fault lol

in the night if she wees or poos on the paper at one side she'll do hre other business on the other part of the paper. but if shes weed in the middle -anything else goes on he floor around the paper

in my room shes a total pain - when she was little she used to sleep in my room because she was frightened etc (she was only 6 weeks!) and she was dry because she used to sleep on my bed - except when i used to forget she was there and push her off lmao!!!!

i Her cage cant go in my room because we use it in the daytime to put her in when we go out and i wont elave her stuffed up in my room - even for half an hour - not fair.

Getting up in the night - i can tell you now it wont happen!! i cant get my but outa bed in the mornings - never mind at 2am!!!

The other night though - the soft dog accidentally locked herself in her cage - and was dry!!

when we move house though i can buy her another cage - and then put it in my room (rooms bigger and then i can have 2) so that would be no problem - except its carpets if she does anything!!!!

so mabey i should just try the whole puppy pad in cage thing tonight and prepare myself tomorow for a stinky dog and get the bath run??? i dont know - i just know she has to be dry in the next 2 weeks or things can get pretty awquard!!!!
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
If you start stressing about it, chances are she will pick up on your stress, and it will not help her be clean in the house. You really need to relax, you cannot force these things :smt001
Take her out all the time, paper training is really just in most instances prolonging the proces, and can cause as much confusion to a dog, as it can be helpful.
If getting up at night is ehat it takes, then you need to sacrifice your beauty-sleep for a couple of weeks, that is probably your best chance of sorting this out in 2 weeks anyway!
But as I said, the more stressed you and other human familiy members are, the more she will puick up on that.
Good luck with it :smt001
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2007, 06:48 PM
er mine is now 7 months and we still have the odd accident in the night, up until a month ago it was every night and her sister who doesn't live with us is exactly the same. There is no point worrying about it as you will just make it worse, just keep praising for the good, ignoring the bad and take out shares in Zoflora
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 07:17 PM
im going to try putting her in her cage with a puppy pad tonight i think - worked the other nite -by mistake lol!!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »