Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:20 PM

The "one meal a day" dog.

What are the pros and cons of feeding a dog once a day?

I have always fed twice a day but have noticed one of the dogs is eating increasingly less come the 2nd meal. Almost training himself onto one.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:22 PM
As I have breeds which appear to be predisposed to GD/GDV I have always fed twice a day to mimimise the risk.

I think it breaks up the day and maintains stable blood sugar levels too.

But many dogs thrive on one meal per day, so if it suits your dog and you why not?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As I have breeds which appear to be predisposed to GD/GDV I have always fed twice a day to mimimise the risk.

I think it breaks up the day and maintains stable blood sugar levels too.

But many dogs thrive on one meal per day, so if it suits your dog and you why not?
I am a little worried about bloat. He doesnt eat too fast but he wants to take in alot plus a lot of water. He is almost point blank refusing his evening meals now.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I would always feed twice because I think one feed in 24 hours is a long time to go without food.

That said if the dog is rejecting one meal and is otherwise healthy, I would let the dog choose. Sometimes my Yorkie rejects her breakfast so I just give her a small biscuit instead.

Maybe just feed your dog a small snack before bed if he prefers.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Mine used to be on one meal a day but she was always hungry in the morning and rarely finished her dinner. She always got very bloated (still does) but i'm happy with my chances now her meals been halved
(also all the others bar the hamster get fed in the morning and i don't want her left out )
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Ben point blank refused to eat any food till after his last walk of the day - so I just got into the habit of feeding one meal a day
Then when I went on to raw because they only get about 200g a day when I want to feed them a big chunk of something (even like a chicken leg) that pretty much takes up their 200g so its better for me to give them variaty and big chunks
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I have always fed mine twice a day, but hubby's working dogs are only fed once a day (in the evening). As his dogs can be out from first light and doing relatively hard exercise, he doesn't want them charging about on a full stomach. His dogs seem to thrive on this routine.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2012, 08:48 PM
All of mine except the pup are on one meal a day. It just evolved really rather than a grand plan but they all seem happy with it. Although none of them would ever refuse a meal however many times a day they were fed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Ours are only fed once a day I always have done with adult dogs. They thrive, are not greedy and know the time when its due, otherwise they don't bother
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I tend to feed a larger meal in the evening and something small in the morning. Shadow wasn't a big fan of breakfast and would often leave it. Rupert wasn't a big fan of food in general. Spencer would eat till he burst I think. He gets a small breakfast, training treats throughout the day and his main meal at night.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >