View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tictac27
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Help needed (nightime urinating in the house)

My Jack Russell wont stop using my Kitchen floor as a toilet,
this only happens a night.

he is 18mths old,(we have had him from 12wks.)

in the day can be left up to six hours and we have no problem.

he is fed once a day approx 4 pm has a small amount of biscuits for supper. (have tried cutting these out but still he does it?)

he is put out at 11.30pm just before we go to bed.

if anyone can help i would be most gratefull.:smt001
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Is it every night? Just wondering if he has formed some type of habit?
Have you had him checked out by a vet? Rule out any medical problems.
Other than that i would take him out for a walk last thing, it will encourage him to have a proper wee before going to bed, so it reduces the risk @ night.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
make sure you wash floor so he cannot smell where hes been before i think if you use biological powder that usually does the trick plse anyone correct me if im wrong sometimes get mixed up with bio and non bio
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Does he eat and sleep in the kitchen? I was told that dogs do not like to mess their eating/sleeping areas. If he doesn't, could you perhaps change it so that he does eat and sleep in the kitchen?

Also, with Benson, I now take him out at night until he does a wee and a poo. He now has learnt what the command 'GO DO WEE WEES' means, and he will squeeze one out...especially if it is cold, and he wants to get back to his bed. He's learnt that he must relieve himself before he settles down for the night!
maddogmolly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Well as everyone before me has said you would be better to take your dog for a walk,before going to bed.
If that does not work.
You could change to feeding first thing in the morning,as that way he will go toilet around 4 ish.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tictac27 View Post
he is put out at 11.30pm just before we go to bed.

if anyone can help i would be most gratefull.:smt001
Hi Tictac If you are not going out with your dog and staying with him to ensure he 'goes', your little dog is probably rushing back it to the warmth and to be with you, as the others have said doing this may have become a habit.

You really need to go outside with him to make sure he relieves himself. You could also teach him to 'go' on command. To do this when he is in the middle of relieving himself add a cue word like 'beclean' so he learns to associate the word with the action, then the moment he finishes give him lots of praise . If you do this consistently he will soon learn to go on command because it brings the reward of praise . Eventually the behaviour will 'become learnt' and you should be able to open the door, say the words and he will go out and do it.
Tictac27
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks everybody for your help.