Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:18 PM

New forest dog ban proposed

I have put this on here as I'm finding it so sad that we dog owners are slowly losing our rights of where we can walk our dogs!

If these get passed then where next?

http://www.naturescene.co.uk/nfdog/index.htm
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2008, 09:19 PM
That is dreadful Karen, makes you wonder where it will all stop like you say.
I do know Bolton Council are trying to ban dogs from some parts of public parks and children play areas.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:20 PM
sorry havent read all the link {very tired} have they given any reason for the ban?
kachinas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I have looked through it, but as you say there is an awful lot there, I have found this though, and as it says, where will it all end?

Issue A) DOG FREE CAR PARKS

Rationale: No other user group has been singled out in this way. This goes against everything NFDOG has been fighting for. Initial introductions will probably to be limited, but where is it likely to end? This item has been inserted at a late stage, after the stakeholders meetings, and has not undergone the normal consideration processes (Habitats Regulations Screening Statement, Sustainability Appraisal etc). There was considerable support across the stakeholders that no group of traditional quiet recreational users should loose current enjoyments, and that we should all be treated equally. There was no discussion of this at stakeholders meetings. The reasoning behind dog free car parks (conservation) is only given in a document on CDROM (RMS Appx. Habitats Regulations Assessment Screening Statement p. 81). Mis-use of Precautionary Principle and Sandford Principle (see later section) could ultimately lead to dogs being banned from most car parks. Proper use of the Precautionary Principle requires them to prove their case before embarking on banning dogs from car parks. The Park have attempted to hide this by placing it in the incorrect screening category in this screening statement.

Also, we only have untill the end of October to make our representations.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:36 PM
It is rubbish! I took Tonks to the New Forest today, she had to stay on lead as she is in season but it was a great walk and a lovely opportunity to practise getting her paying attention to me with the horses and cows around, and rewarding her to responding to the off comand.

I haven't read all of it i'm afraid, why are they suggesting it. Responsible owners can't really be a problem to the forest. It seems to be another area where are dogs are being pushed out.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Fingers crossed guys, it is tragic that they feel this is justified.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:53 PM
2 yrs ago we faced similar in Rother and we mounted a campaign...within a week we had a website, petition, march etc organised...followed by TV slots and radio plus posters. It took a year but we got it overturned...helped along by the guy who designed the legislation moved down here and couldn't walk his dog, so he joined our campaign....council backed off, big time but it took a year.

KCDog run by KC have a pack that can help if anyone wants to campaign
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
2 yrs ago we faced similar in Rother and we mounted a campaign...within a week we had a website, petition, march etc organised...followed by TV slots and radio plus posters. It took a year but we got it overturned...helped along by the guy who designed the legislation moved down here and couldn't walk his dog, so he joined our campaign....council backed off, big time but it took a year.

KCDog run by KC have a pack that can help if anyone wants to campaign
So glad to hear this. We used to live in the Rother area ( Northiam ) and we had the most beautiful walks on our doorstep. The village was very doggy, and we missed it very much when we left. So when I heard about the new anti dog bylaws planned for the area I was very surprised and saddened. Thanks for the update- maybe one day we'll return now!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Southend Council sneaked in a vote on a dog ban last night - the local paper only found out the day before, so we`re all in the dark. The council say they`consulted local residents` which is poo because no-one has heard about it.
We`re waiting to hear the details. If, as I suspect, I`m left with nowhere to walk my dogs, I will move. Does anyone know a dog-friendly area with good walks please? (and yes, I am serious).
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Southend Council sneaked in a vote on a dog ban last night - the local paper only found out the day before, so we`re all in the dark. The council say they`consulted local residents` which is poo because no-one has heard about it.
We`re waiting to hear the details. If, as I suspect, I`m left with nowhere to walk my dogs, I will move. Does anyone know a dog-friendly area with good walks please? (and yes, I am serious).
Southampton, winchester and Gosport! We have loads of country parks, the common, river side walks, beach walks, parks, woods, farly mount, forestry commision land etc etc.

Tonks and i rarely do the same walk twice in one week.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >