Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:52 AM

Humping(Do i ignore it)

Hi,
Tyler is 9 months old now,I expect his hormones are a bit wild at the moment.He doesn't bother trying to hump the kids or us but will try to hump any other dog,regardless of what sex it is,and his bed.
We really haven't experinced this before as we have only really ever owned bitches.
Is it just a stage he is going through and part of him growing up,must admit though it is getting quite embarassing How can we discourage it?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 11:13 AM
yes it is all part of growing up, and is a behaviour that varies greatly from dog to dog.

My advice would be to redirect him into an activity you find more acceptable.
If there is the possibility he may be used at stud, it is very important not to tell him 'no', just redirect him with play or treat/toy and praise him for that.

As regards other dogs, he will very soon get the message if his attentions are not welcome! Dogs get the message a lot quicker if that message is delivered by another dog!
(that isnt to say you shouldnt make a judgement call if you think your/the other dog might be at risk)

I would apologise to the owner and ask them if they would mind if you left it to their dog to 'tell' your boy to sling his hook - but of course you also need to work on distracting him as well..much better if you can distract him away before he needs telling.

Just my opinion of course, I am sure others will have their own ideas.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
We really haven't experinced this before as we have only really ever owned bitches.
Doesn't seem to make a difference, as my bitch, Blondi, can amply demonstrate when she gets over-excited in play.
zepthedep
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi
I tend to agree with Thandi,imo you can if the dog is not to be used as a stud teach him that its not acceptable behaviour , takes time but it can be done ,[ I tend to teach this as i prefer intact dogs] ,the thing also to look at, if its a dominance issue over other dogs or just hormones running wild, two compleatly different issues and need to be delt with individually.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
yes it is all part of growing up, and is a behaviour that varies greatly from dog to dog.

My advice would be to redirect him into an activity you find more acceptable.
If there is the possibility he may be used at stud, it is very important not to tell him 'no', just redirect him with play or treat/toy and praise him for that.

As regards other dogs, he will very soon get the message if his attentions are not welcome! Dogs get the message a lot quicker if that message is delivered by another dog!
(that isnt to say you shouldnt make a judgement call if you think your/the other dog might be at risk)

I would apologise to the owner and ask them if they would mind if you left it to their dog to 'tell' your boy to sling his hook - but of course you also need to work on distracting him as well..much better if you can distract him away before he needs telling.

Just my opinion of course, I am sure others will have their own ideas.
I agree with Thandi and see 'mounting' as a normal behaviour and part of the growing up process that varies from dog to dog.

Look upon it as 'practising a behaviour that may be required one day' . Most dogs grow out of it particularly if dissuaded as described in Thand'is post.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Doesn't seem to make a difference, as my bitch, Blondi, can amply demonstrate when she gets over-excited in play.
Tell me about it! You should see Bongo when she gets going
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I had an emabrrassing incident yesterday with Ollie,he decided to hump Annie the english Setter,she has been speyed,think Ollie's hormones are beginning to kick in,he is 5 months old on the 20th.Trouble is Annie doesn't seem to tell them off so I stepped in and when he tried it again put him on the lead and we went in another direction.Ollie is going to be neutered though and probably when he is 6 months as we are not breeeding or showing.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Oscar has already shocked my elderly mum by mounting some of his cuddly toys.