Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 06:41 PM

English weddings

Hello

Just seeking out some advice. A couple of friends of ours, born in Britain are getting married on Saturday. When we received the invitation it didn't mention dress code so we've kind of made it up but could I ask is it standard procedure that the ladies wear one outfit for the ceremony, then another for the reception? We don't want to harass the groom on his last week of freedom so thought we'd ask your opinion.

Church ceremony
Hotel reception

Thanks guys and gals.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I went to an English wedding last year and nobody changed for the reception after the church ceremony
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Hello

Just seeking out some advice. A couple of friends of ours, born in Britain are getting married on Saturday. When we received the invitation it didn't mention dress code so we've kind of made it up but could I ask is it standard procedure that the ladies wear one outfit for the ceremony, then another for the reception? We don't want to harass the groom on his last week of freedom so thought we'd ask your opinion.

Church ceremony
Hotel reception

Thanks guys and gals.

Is that just a crafty way of getting your poor hubby to buy you two outfits Maplecottage Haven't been to many weddings lately but I would have thought that you wear the same outfit to the church and reception although I know sometimes the bride changes although like I said I haven't been to one for a bit cos nobody invites me
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Tut's where did they go afterwards? Was it a hotel, restaurant or anything like that....it's just everyone going to this wedding are staying at the hotel where the reception is being held and thought they might change afterwards, I know that alot of Danish weddings people get changed twice...Only been to two english weddings...one where we got invited to the reception only which was quite unusual, and the second was a really posh do so you had to go in ball gowns to the wedding...a bit strange that was too LOL
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Is that just a crafty way of getting your poor hubby to buy you two outfits Maplecottage Haven't been to many weddings lately but I would have thought that you wear the same outfit to the church and reception although I know sometimes the bride changes although like I said I haven't been to one for a bit cos nobody invites me
Good plan Foxy LOL alas it's to try and not look like right idiots when we turn up....sometimes I wish wedding invitations came with instructions...don't know the traditions in this country for weddings

There wasn't even a present list or anything so I've bought them something from my shop LOL hope they like it
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Simple solution...

OH wears a kilt to the wedding. If no one changes you're safe. If they do, just swap outfits!

Graeme
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Simple solution...

OH wears a kilt to the wedding. If no one changes you're safe. If they do, just swap outfits!

Graeme
LOL yup that'll have everyone in hysterics - what having his kilt fall down around my ankles

Perhaps a bit of entertainment for the vicar
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
LOL @ Graeme!!

MC we drove to an abbey for the reception... but no one was staying there I think.

If the reception is in a hotel, why don't you take a second outfit just in case, and ask someone else if they're changing while you're there? You probably won't need it though... unless it's a REALLY REALLY posh affair
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
hmmmm :smt017 :smt017 well I guess it was going to be posh as they had originally booked out chalets in the Pyrenees mountains, the wedding plus reception was going to be there - everyone was asked to try and stay for the week so we could go hiking through the mountains with the happy couple....plans got pulled because it meant a low turn out rate

I can only guess it's going to be really nice - but don't know if it's going to be posh... afterall we are talking about men for the stag do spent the day walking around in Superhero costumes before getting kicked out of Hakkasan for refusing to take them off LOL

Gosh I don't know
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi it all depends on timing of wedding, weather they are having just one reception for guest invited to the wedding only or weather they are also having a seperate evening reception for a wider circle of friends.In most weddings you don't get changed between the church and the reception but will change later on before the evening part. HTH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >