Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Lotsadogs
Thankyou very much. TangoCharlie am sorry if have hijacked your thread, it was not intended, hope the course goes well for you. I cannot find out much about it on the BB website but will definately look into it further.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Paddy is great, when did you do the course?

rune
Started it just over 5 years ago, it was a 3 year course
Paddy was there, IIRC, for all of that time. She did lots of the practical dog training and behaviour work. I really liked both her and Roger, they were both excellent (as you'd expect anyway from Paddy) and knew their stuff. Learnt loads from them. Hope I've retained most of it

I must admit, I did not like the training plans Roger made us do, but I did learn from doing them, nevertheless

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
It's developing into an interesting debate.
Experience vs theory.
You've got to have both really.

I know of some top bod years ago who was pretty harsh on a dog, thought it was playing up (he was a rather old school trainer, well meaning but not really a lateral thinker, and a member of the choke chain brigade). The owner went to a good behaviourist, who understood somethiing wrong right away, and sent them off to the vet, who was able to diagnose a brain tumour

I would guess the course was helping your trainer fine-tune her consultation skills. Asking five good, open questions and getting as much info back as possible.

It definitely wouldn't have been the whole consultation, there would have been more to it. It's clear that you (one) can't just ask 5 questions and then be able to give sound advice

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post

It is understanding a persons needs, understanding and developing their skills and motivating them to change, that is the secret to successfull modification or development. From what I have seen, there are few courses or approaches in this country that consider that enough.

It doesn't matter how much a person might have read, or understood the current thinking on dog behaviour, if they fail to see that many owners simply can not, will not, or don't want to change, unless a real pshycological shift takes place, a shift which has to be driven by the dog behaviourist, then no one will benefit. When a course comes along which approaches such things with a more balanced understanding and approach or more effectively, I for one, will be on it!

We did go into this in some detail at Sparsholt, and also it was very strongly taught at the Southampton course (which, alas, is no more -cuts or something). I agree, it's no use knowing how to train a dog unless you can also work with people. Good courses need to include some element of human psychology, definitely. For me that came mostly in the top up, but we did some at BB too.

I do not think that acedemic studies are pointless, far from it, but I do think that they can give a scewed perception of just how "real" academic studies are. For instance, my team all went on a week long course with a rather famous trainer last year. That course had on it a number of people who had come from other non dog training backgrounds and they thought the course was good, some even thought it excellent. Without exception my team thought it very very poor indeed. The people with less experience had failed to recognise the fundamental weaknesses in the course because of their lack of experience. Some of them even intended to set up as behaviourists after the course with only that learning to go on. Very sad and in my view very very dangerous.
Good point, one I tend to agree with for the most part.

Wys
x
gooddoggie
New Member!
Male 

31-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone ive read through the thread and its very interesting as im currrently looking to decide which course I want to do.

Coape diploma or the bishop burton foundation degree.they both interest me as I want to set up my own daycare and training centre,at the moment im favouring going down the clinical behaviourist route.

I like the hands on practical element in bb,the only problem id have with it is the difficulty id have in brining my dog with me as im not a resident in the UK.

im trying to weigh up wether the cost of paying more to do the coape option at aroound £5.455 for two years is worth it compared to the £4,500 for the 5 years (plus costs of travel+ accomadation etc)

any advice please would be gretly apreciated.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by gooddoggie View Post
Hello everyone ive read through the thread and its very interesting as im currrently looking to decide which course I want to do.

Coape diploma or the bishop burton foundation degree.they both interest me as I want to set up my own daycare and training centre,at the moment im favouring going down the clinical behaviourist route.

I like the hands on practical element in bb,the only problem id have with it is the difficulty id have in brining my dog with me as im not a resident in the UK.

im trying to weigh up wether the cost of paying more to do the coape option at aroound £5.455 for two years is worth it compared to the £4,500 for the 5 years (plus costs of travel+ accomadation etc)

any advice please would be gretly apreciated.
Get in touch with Marion Justice at Bishop Burton. They have had quite a few students from Ireland so she may be able to both tell you how they went on and possibly put you in touch with one of them to chat over any problems they may have encountered and how they overcame them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 04:11 PM
You may wish to look at other providers as well
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You may wish to look at other providers as well
other providers, such as?