Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:21 PM

toilet help please!

hiya, our pup goes indoors, he goes on puppy mats, which is fine, he Knows where his loo is as we have sectioned off our lounge so he has a play area/crate area/feeding area/and doughnut doggie bed area!
so faily a nice size area for him and he also has his loo area, we started off with 4 puppy mats and we brought it down to two as he Will go on the mats, all by himself he knows where to go, but about 50% of the time he only puts his front paws on the mats..........then his wee goes over the floor, so maybe he thinks his weeing on the mat as his two front paws are on it??

thing is we dont know what to do, we dont want to scare him by clapping our hands to stop him weeing to move him on the matt- if we did this would this scare him into not going????

he also has a weeing area in the bedroom which is cornered off for where we sleep and his on the floor but most night he com es into bed about 2 hours before i get up, after he has had a poo (we he crys and wakes me uo to tell me to clean it up!) & a few wees so i know he wont need to go again. but today, my partner got him out of the bed and he had 2wees and a poo & then my partner brought him back into me as he was going to wake up me, pup had Just been to the loo & he went as wee'd on the bed!! i couldnt beleive it, he has Never done this before and has cried to be let off the bed to wee, but he had just been twice for a wee! literally been picked up then brought into the bedroom!

i dunno why he did this!!

anyway.............we are mostly concerned with the puppy matts, how do we get him to go into the middle of them??

thanks any tips would be appraicatied!!

(sorry ive written a novel here!!)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Fudge did exactly the same.I ended up abandoning them and going for the outside only approach.Is this possible for you?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Fudge did exactly the same.I ended up abandoning them and going for the outside only approach.Is this possible for you?
I'd do this too. I think it'd be better just to start from scratch tbh.

I don't know much about Westies, but Bichons have a bit of a reputation for being difficlut to house train (obviously won't apply to all Bichons), Harvey wasn't truely house trained until he was about 18 months old, despite my Sisters best efforts. He still does the odd woopsie when he gets anxious!

So knowing half of his parentage I'd start him off going outside early on to get him into a good habit.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:51 PM
hiay its really not possible we tried going outside but it was so windy and thundering and we had to bring him back his only tiny and it scared the life out of him! his having his 2nd jabs on 27th of this month so walking him will finally be here, and his still not used to his lead yet and if im in pain i cant pick him up to take him out there i just wish we had a garden!!

so its puppy mats for now its the best we can do, i just wish he would go in the middle of them!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
hiay its really not possible we tried going outside but it was so windy and thundering and we had to bring him back his only tiny and it scared the life out of him! his having his 2nd jabs on 27th of this month so walking him will finally be here, and his still not used to his lead yet and if im in pain i cant pick him up to take him out there i just wish we had a garden!!

so its puppy mats for now its the best we can do, i just wish he would go in the middle of them!
What about buying a cat litter tray and putting the pads in it so he has to climb into it and pee?

You could start by placing him in it when he's due a wee so he develops the habit of getting in.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 08:18 PM
hiya, i dont think he would get in it, his such a flippin little sod!!

i think we might give it a try though actually, we did try and box but he thought it was a new bed!!!

litter tray next then........
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
hiya, i dont think he would get in it, his such a flippin little sod!!

i think we might give it a try though actually, we did try and box but he thought it was a new bed!!!

litter tray next then........
That'll be the Bichon in him! :smt043

Good luck!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 09:39 PM
hah def! thats the only bit of bichon that has come out in him!! lol!!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 10:26 PM
have you tried putting a treat down further to the back of the pad when he is going over to it so he stands further on it, we did this with ours they soon got the message. hope you get it sorted hun.

have a great xmas xxx
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 10:56 PM
oooo thanks!! i thought of doing this but wasnt sure whther he would eat it...........or hed find it when he doesnt need to go! might giveit a go though! it all helps thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >