Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:37 PM

How can I stop this behavior ?

I think I have posted before about Lenny jumping up and biting whilst we are training, usually it is my arms but when he does it I am bringing so they are not a target so now he has taken to biting my legs OWW I now have a 6 inch bruise on my thigh from yesterday. I end up covered in bruises every week from bites and scratches.

I really don't know what to do to stop it and its really starting to get annoying! He never ever jumps up at me unless we are training, where am I going wrong??
There are some instances of this behavior on this video.

I am in need of advise on how to stop it

Thanks Hayley.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I enjoyed the video. First I think he does it (IMO) because he is over zealous with what he is doing. He looks to me as if he is seeking praise/attention, and the nipping has become a habit in his way of getting it, whether it be the wrong way he is still getting a reaction.

Can I ask has anyone else had a go at taking him round the course and if so does he do it with them too.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Can I ask has anyone else had a go at taking him round the course and if so does he do it with them too.
Thanks, Another lady had a go once after a class and he jumped one jump then came straight back to mum!!! lol(awww) I might get my aunt to have a go tho he loves her.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 09:57 PM
To me he just looks too excited. Would there be any way of calming him down without taking the fun out of agility?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
Thanks, Another lady had a go once after a class and he jumped one jump then came straight back to mum!!! lol(awww) I might get my aunt to have a go tho he loves her.
That might be a good idea, I have a feeling this is a bad habit that he has picked up, as he looks as if he is seeking your approval...sort of ''look mom I did it, arn't I good'' ...........you carry on running so he nips you so as you don't ignore him.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I think he is a smart dog, who has found away of getting your attention...albeit painful
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:43 PM
It looks to me as if he starts to jump up when he doesn't understand what he's supposed to be doing. When you give him clear direction and he knows where he's going, he is fine. I think maybe if you carefully planned before running where you were going to signal, what you were going to do etc, he might be a bit better?

There is a dog at my training who does this, because she gets frustrated with her owner who is a beginner handler herself. It's one of the more painful ways of becoming a better handler!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
To me he just looks too excited. Would there be any way of calming him down without taking the fun out of agility?
Thats the trouble, I don't want him to dislike it cos he'a getting into trouble for it,
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
That might be a good idea, I have a feeling this is a bad habit that he has picked up, as he looks as if he is seeking your approval...sort of ''look mom I did it, arn't I good'' ...........you carry on running so he nips you so as you don't ignore him.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I think he is a smart dog, who has found away of getting your attention...albeit painful
Oh yes it is painful! its starting to take the fun out of it a bit!,

Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post
It looks to me as if he starts to jump up when he doesn't understand what he's supposed to be doing. When you give him clear direction and he knows where he's going, he is fine. I think maybe if you carefully planned before running where you were going to signal, what you were going to do etc, he might be a bit better?

There is a dog at my training who does this, because she gets frustrated with her owner who is a beginner handler herself. It's one of the more painful ways of becoming a better handler!
The problem seems to be worse if I stop because we have missed a jump or got something wrong,, thats when it happens so you are right, the only way to prevent that is to keep going regardless of mistakes i suppose.
The trouble with the dark evenings I just don't get enough time to practise, that will be better in the summer.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 11:05 PM
The problem seems to be worse if I stop because we have missed a jump or got something wrong,, thats when it happens so you are right, the only way to prevent that is to keep going regardless of mistakes i suppose.
personaly I would deal with the issue rather than avoid it!

can your agility trainer not help you with it?
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
personaly I would deal with the issue rather than avoid it!

can your agility trainer not help you with it?
I expect she would, but we only have an hour and there is about 6 of us and I am a bit concious of taking up all her time. also he's actually doing brilliantly with all the equipment and even seems to be cottoning on to the weaves. He does it with Obedience too when we are tryin to do heelwork!
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Our dog used to do this on walks and in the show ring when he was younger. It is an excitement thing. He has improved with age. Our dog trainer recommended teaching him to get excited with a toy and then to calm down instantly, then he would be rewarded by getting the toy back or a treat. This does help them learn a bit of self control. It can be a slow process though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >