Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2013, 12:51 AM

Poor dog :(

Some people make me mad - he's a stunner

Billy

Billy is a 4-6 month old Labrador cross his previous owner is facing sentencing. His foster family heard of his plight on Friday 21st and collected him on Sat 22nd December. This is their assessment of this lovely boy…..

Initial Meeting

Billy was very friendly and good in the car. He was thin and had raw areas around both eyes and raw scratch marks behind his right ear. His left eye was squinted closed. His right ear was very red inside and felt leathery. We knew that he had been Frontlined but nothing else. He sat quietly but cowed in the car. We took him to the Vet who checked him out (nothing discovered), chipped him and vaccinated him. He could not examine the left eye properly and suggested that the raw areas were self harm areas where Billy had scratched himself through stress. After a bath with medicated shampoo, Billy came out a different colour – a wonderful shiny black colour! First Few Days Billy clearly showed signs of not being socialized at all, though was very friendly and not in the slightest bit aggressive. He just adores a cuddle and frets if he thinks the cuddle will stop. He has a nervous habit of scratching his ears and eyes. Noises startle him and he is very vocal, screaming if crated or left in a room alone. He is very tactile and relaxes instantly if he has touchy company with anything, dogs or humans. He does not guard toys (I don’t think he knows what they are) but loves his food! He will dive into any bowl going and wolf down whatever is there, protecting his meal. He walks well on a lead in a group, but gets frantic if he is behind the pack, pulling frantically until he has caught up! He demonstrates this fear of being left behind in all aspects of his day.

Two Weeks Review

Billy is settling down well and the biggest change is that he lets me leave the room and return without frantically charging after me. We are increasing the amount of time that we leave him at home (not on his own, always with other dogs). Each time is better, though his scream of anguish is ear splitting! His scratching has stopped and his eyes are recovering. His ears are fine now. His left eye is easier to see now that the rawness and swelling is down. My initial fear of ingrowing eye lashes proved to be baseless; it looks like the top lid is deformed/scarred. Possible result of a blow perhaps. It doesn’t affect his handsome looks and does not weep either. Whether his eyes grow complete fur back again I can’t tell yet. Eating continues to be a frantic affair. He is on biscuits now with Omega 3 oils or mackerel pieces mixed in. We have to feed him separately; he is not aggressive, just frantic to eat. Walking is fine as long he is not left behind. He plays well, not in the slightest bit aggressive. Very good with people and other dogs. Recall is excellent, he likes sticks and balls and tug of war. Can jump in excitement but its for a cuddle not a nip. Never chewed any furniture, but did ‘read’ the post one day. Never seen a cat yet so can’t report on that. He is okay with his crate for short times, even taking himself in there on his own. He has not overnighted and allows us to close the door if we are in the room with him. Not happy if the door is closed and you leave the room. He is happiest with the other dogs around and copies our resident dog.

Team Ilbrey K9 Partners
k9partners AT gmail.com
07957 300644
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 06:45 AM
I hope he finds a good home soon. He sounds like a lovely dog.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Aww bless him, he sounds like a real sweetheart doesn't he?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Poor baby is lucky to be out of his previous "home" Gorgeous little guy hope he finds a forever home soon
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Such a beautiful baby. I hope he finds a good home soon.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Glad he is out of his previous home and hope he gets a lovely home soon .