Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Anal gland infection

Hamish had particularly "fishy" breath for the last few days and today he was scooting on the carpet so I thought maybe he needed his anal glands emptied - not something I have ever done myself so we went off to the vets.. turns out they think he has an infection in his anal glands as when they emptied them there was a wee bit blood so he has a course of AB's.

Any idea what causes infection? Anything we could do to avoid this in the future?

Poor wee man wasn't too keen on the vet "fiddling about" with his bum!

Dee xx
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Deedee1321 View Post
Hamish had particularly "fishy" breath for the last few days and today he was scooting on the carpet so I thought maybe he needed his anal glands emptied - not something I have ever done myself so we went off to the vets.. turns out they think he has an infection in his anal glands as when they emptied them there was a wee bit blood so he has a course of AB's.

Any idea what causes infection? Anything we could do to avoid this in the future?

Poor wee man wasn't too keen on the vet "fiddling about" with his bum!

Dee xx
I don't know much about anal gland infections, but anal glands can get impacted, bacteria builds up and sometimes absceses occur. When they become impacted the glands cannot empty themselves (a bit of fluid is usually released when the dog poos). Some dogs seem more prone to problems like this than others. More fibre in the diet may help, once the glands have been expressed and any infection has been cleared up.