Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Bald and irritated looking toe...

Sika has one toe on her front left foot which is bald and the skin is quite red and inflammed looking. She is licking and working with it every now and again but apart from that it doesn't seem to bother her. It's not painful for her if I touch/squeeze it. Any idea what it could be?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi, is it bald because she has been licking it so much, or is it bald because it is so inflamed that the hairs are very sparse (if you see what I mean!!)

It does sound a little as if there may be an abscess forming. Lots of warm salt baths will help to bring it out if that is what is is, and won't do any harm if it is something else.

Have you checked underneath the toe? Also between that one and the next? There may be a little something lodged in there.

If still bad tomorrow, I would go to the vet to be on the safe side
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2010, 09:06 PM
It could be that she has damaged the nail bed,which you would probably not be able to see,until it might get infected. If she keeps on bothering it,you are best of to take her to your vet.
babybingo
New Member!
Male 

30-04-2010, 08:39 AM
i have no idea, but i hope it gets better soon, its always horrible when are animals are in disscomfort
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:10 AM
If its a yeast allergy you could bathe it with apple cider vinegar, and as previously said salt baths are good too, do you give yoghurt or cheese as treats ?
with the warmer weather starting all the wee mites and bugs are out too so could be a reaction to a wee bite or sommit...
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:39 AM
She's not had anything different to eat at all. I think it might have happened after I went a walk through a field and we had to cross some gorse, I wonder if she's pronged herself on a thorny bit or if she's stood on something which has caused a reaction. I'll try salt baths, thanks. Would tea tree oil be a good idea too?
Thanks
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 04:27 PM
if its red and irritated I would avoid the tea tree it will probably sting more , try giving piriton, if its an allergy this should help reduce the inflammation and stop it itching , if in deed it is itchy lol , so difficult when they can't tell us, I could give my shar pei up to 3 piriton a day, the salt baths alone should help cool it too xx
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Well I took Sika to the vet today as her toe was not getting any better, no worse but no better. I also noticed a bald patch developing on her chest and she is itching more and more. She has had an injection which should last for 2 weeks to stop her itching and give the toe a chance to heal and also a course of antibiotics incase she has a bacterial infection secondary to the itching on her toe. Poor girl! He's not sure what has caused it... he seemed a little bewildered tbh. He said it's a hypersensitive reaction to 'something'. The only thing I can think of is grass! I think I'll try her with piriton if after 2 weeks she' still itching. Is it just the normal human tablet? What is the doseage? She is just over 15kg's.