Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Moving a Dog Crate To Another Room?

Hiya,

I have posted about our possible new addition to our family in the general dog chat so you may have seen it. To cut a long story short, we have a 16 month old bitch and next week we will be hopefully introducing a 12 month old male Beagle.

My question is relating to the crate. Missy is crated on an evening in the kitchen with the door closed. However, when we get the new Beagle space will be tight in there with 2 crates in. It would fit but just!

We do have a spare bedroom on the middle floor which my wife currently uses for all her make up etc etc which we were thinking of housing both crates. We live in a 3 storey town house and our bedroom is on the very top floor, with 2 bedrooms on the middle floor. We are considering using one of these bedrooms for Missy and Polo (thats his name) and keeping both crates in there. Do you think it is a good idea? Does anyone else keep their dogs crated in a bedroom?

Do you think it would unsettle Missy? To be honest she likes been in that bedroom so I think she would prefer it.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this as always!!

The idea is to have a big bed in the kitchen for them to sleep on during the day if they want but then go up to their crates on an evening!

Thanks
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Probably be easier to decide once you have both dogs and see how they get along together
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Cheers mate

I am hoping it wont be a problem. It would create more space in the kitchen for one, and I wont disturb them all night when I get a drink or a snack or something!

I suppose I just wondered how common it was and if other people did it. As you the only replier I would guess that it isnt the wrong thing to do as I am sure someone would have said it by now

We are just waiting to hear from the lady now (its been over 24 hours so we are getting worried now lol)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't think it should matter too much, I would start placing Missy in her crate in the bedroom asap though, that way she will adjust a little more easily.

It may unsettle her too much having a new dog and a new room all at once, perhaps too much change would then unsettle her?

Know what you mean about having to go in and out of the kitchen - that's where Marius crate is and it's a nuisance sometimes when you fancy a cuppa or get hungry and you don't want to disturb him sleeping! We have to get supplies out in advance LOL!