View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 05:14 PM

The Walk From hell/advise on pup overcoming it?

well todays walk was one from hell, all was fine until some fool passed us with some yorkies off the lead..and for no reason, one just launched at ralph (who was on the lead) and bit him quite nastily-my poor wee chap didnt no what to do so merely lay down-submissivley (sp) and got bit.
He really seemed 'shocked' afterwards and i want some advise on how to get him past this phase..because i have Florrie who has a thing about big black dog from getting attacked by a black X breed when she was little-when she sees a big black dog she goes insane and wants to get faaaaaaaaaaaaar away-and i dont want ralph to have something for yorkies/small fluffy dogs etc.
So any advise?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Ralph lives with 2 smaller breeds already doesn't he?

Surely that will go some way to making him love them?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Well i thought this...but he seems to have been really weary around our two since which is strange as he is usually so bouncy Maybe it will passs....but i don't want this developing into one of those fear/phobia/obsessions
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Just make sure he meets as many NICE small dogs as poss while he is still young.. That would be my advice..!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah I agree. I would just go for walks as normal and don't make a big deal out of anything. Hopefully if you are relaxed and calm he will be too. Poor Ralph. What did the Yorkies owner do?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 05:56 PM
It would be really great if you could find a friendly person with a well-behaved dog who owns the same breed that attacked him and allowed their dog to meet him nicely.

This would help him get over any fears he may have over that certain breed-type. It is quite common for dogs to become fearful of the breed that attacked them, so desensitising him to little dogs would be enormous help.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks all-the yorkie owner did nothing but scream ..her response, well hes a teacup and its not common for this breed of yorkie to be viscious so maybe your 'big dog' scared him
Big dog?!?!-Ralph is a 12 week old puppy for christs sakes!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Luke
Thanks all-the yorkie owner did nothing but scream ..her response, well hes a teacup and its not common for this breed of yorkie to be viscious so maybe your 'big dog' scared him
Big dog?!?!-Ralph is a 12 week old puppy for christs sakes!
Oh please. Talk about pass the buck Take some responsibility for your dog women. Honestly!!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Berger
Oh please. Talk about pass the buck Take some responsibility for your dog women. Honestly!!
Definatley-but the best is how she reffers to her little yorkies as 'teacups' which apparentlly are a breed of yorkie and when a woman can't recognise a puppy (amongst other things) then im sorry but do they know dogs at all!?!?!
Teacups indeed!!
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Its owners like that, that give all small dog owners a bad name!! It really makes me mad when people are so ignorant.. if its snappy and/or not trained to recall, put it on a lead in public! She should think herself very lucky that Ralph is only a puppy cos her "Teacup" Yorkie could have been done some serious damage by another dog..
My Dog was chased by a springer and is now terrified of ALL other dogs.. we have very careful and controlled introductions on a regular basis.. Its slow going..I really hope that Ralph is Ok and not put off other dogs, bless him
Rachel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >