Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Not in my experience. My first dog was my soul-mate - the most intelligent and gentlest dog I`ve ever had. It was a dreadful shock when I found out they weren`t all like that!
(she was a GSD rehome BTW)
Mine was the other way around! She, too, was a GSD rehome and even though she was a very loving dog, she was a little tinker and was a very, very hard first dog. However, she taught me so much and I loved her to bits. I got a pleasant surprise when my next two were nothing like her
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Not in my experience. My first dog was my soul-mate - the most intelligent and gentlest dog I`ve ever had. It was a dreadful shock when I found out they weren`t all like that!
(she was a GSD rehome BTW)
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Mine was the other way around! She, too, was a GSD rehome and even though she was a very loving dog, she was a little tinker and was a very, very hard first dog. However, she taught me so much and I loved her to bits. I got a pleasant surprise when my next two were nothing like her
My experience was more like Moobli's. I didn't get my first choices of dog breeds because I did my research and it was suggested that they weren't suitable for novice owners. So I got my Pepper (Schnauzer) who turned out to be a complete handful and, I am positive, no more trouble than a Finnish Spitz would have been!

I know it isn't quite the same because I switched breeds for my next dogs (my Affens) but they are a walk in the park (pun intended ) by comparison. In fact this was brought home to me recently as Pepper was laid up with an injury and just walking the boys is a much more relaxing experience as they just don't shot off the way she has a tendency to.

So I would answer the OP's question by saying that any individual of any breed can present challenges, there is no guaranteed easy going breed so if you have done your research, really know what you are taking on, and are prepared to put in the work required you might as well have the dog you want. (I'll get my Spitz one day!)

J.
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2009, 03:33 PM
My first dog was probably unsuitable. She was a borzoi puppy which we got when I was having my first child so was going to be at home. She was a delightful dog. I trained her to novice obedience. Her main fault was running off after wild things. We could never stop her. As she aged she got a bit grumpy. So it all depends how much effort you put in.
The borzoi was followed by Great Danes which were on the whole easy dogs. They were all rescues.
However 40 years on, the current GD is not easy. she has a very high prey drive and despite putting more training into her than any other she is not to be trusted round other dogs.
Louise
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I guess a learner driver can drive a Lamborghini and a new dog owner can have just about any breed. Surely it is better to have a breed that really interests you and that you are passionate about than having a breed that someone else thinks is right for you. Having said that I would put on the qualifier that Rescues are full of the right dog that went to the wrong owner!
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I have recently brought home my first dog, he is a cross between a northern inuit and GSD. I have seen both these breeds stated as unsuitable as first dogs. I had read this before deciding on this type of dog and although originally put off I came to the decision, that getting a different "first dog" and waiting 10-15 years before getting the type of dog I really want was totally unrealistic.

I have researched these dogs and i'm totally prepared to put in as much work as is needed to have a happy healthy dog.

So what do people mean by this? Do we have to be in our 30's or 40's before we should take on these breeds as although I had dogs growing up- my parents took to do with the training etc. i am genuinely interested on your thoughts.
I too read up on difficult first dogs and have taken on Missy my Husky/Samoyed cross as a first dog, I am in my 40's and if I have to have several dogs I will be too old to get the one I want.
We had various GSD's as I was growing up, my father was an RAF dog handler and subsequently all the training was down to him.
I truly believe that if we put enough work in (exercise and training and lots of love) we will have a happy and well adjusted dog whatever the breed.
She is now 6 months old and so far so good.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Iadvice.

10 years ago when I first started answering dog questions, many of the others knew more than I did. Now, most of the good people are gone. I would try to find a good book.

Oh dear, and all thats left is you

I think there are breeds that are lets say more of a challenge than others, and I guess this is why we say , "not for a first time dog/breed owner" but as in everything, its not always as simple as that.

If you are prepared to put the work in, have done your research and know what you are taking on, then it can work.

There are also people who have owned more than one dog or many of the same breed, and still dont get it right.

I know people in my breed who will not sell to anyone who had no experience of the breed, I also know of someone who is on his second Boxer, and has screwed up with flying colours... and all he can say is ... this one is not like the other, the other one was so easy.

A lesson in learning that, although dogs of the same breed will share the same characteristics/ traits, they are all completey different. it's never a good idea to think you know what to expect in a breed

I think those of us who do say to a newbie, "not for you" will be down to concern over the dog/breed, because if enough experience is present, they will know a good biddable one is a delight where as a obstinate , difficult one can be a nightmare, and even the most experienced can have days when they feel........"what did I do"!

Good luck, and remember, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help if needed!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Good post Jackie

Years ago I went from Toy Dogs to Boxers, the vet I was with at the time was shocked! However its what you want and want to put into it. Although I had shown Toys over the UK and Ireland and helped folk with other breeds I still felt I should know more about what I was doing so I immediately signed up for a Dog Handlers Course. It was so fullfilling and enjoyable & so glad I did it, its something I will always have and its been put to good use ever since.

That first Boxer [my family had had Boxers before] started my love for the breed and I have had nothing else since.

My advice is ask as much as possible as you can never ever learn too much and you can learn a lot from these forums and go to dog shows / clubs where you will meet like minded dog lovers.

Good luck and look forward to chatting.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4