Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Joint Supplement

As my nearly two year old Retriever has been experiencing a problem with one of her back legs that may but hopefully may not require surgery (xray pending) I have decided that its probably a wise idea to start her on a joint supplement.
Has anyone tried/heard of Joint aid for dogs by Gro-well feeds ltd? I popped into my local pet centre and they recommended this supplement but I imagine there are quite a few different ones on the market and its easy to get completely confused as to which one is best.
Thanks in advance for your tips/advice
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I give my older dogs (5+) glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and Vit. C (a mix) plus cod-liver oil. I know it works because they get stiff if I run out. I buy the `human` sort online as the mark-up is enormous at health-food places and it trebles if it`s specifically branded for pets.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Make sure that the glucosamine is HCl and not sulphate as this works better.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.caninenaturalcures.co.uk/missinglink.htm

Can't recommend this highly enough my elder dog is on this my sister sent it back with me from the USA, and when he ran out a few week's back wasn't aware I could buy it here, however some more came this morning from England were she had paid for it and sent it for my old fella, he has arthritis in his back leg's and was extremly grumpy due to his condition and I was unhappy about putting him on painkiller's as if natural things were working If and when the natural products dont work then I'l put him on painkiller's but this is brilliant you can only try it, he needs to be on it 3-4 weeks before he feel's the full benefit from this.
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Joint aid is brill. my sister has used it on her dog and although she has serious hd, you would never know to see her out, my girls are now on it and Kt is much more her old self now, back to skippy dippy choc lab..su
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
http://www.caninenaturalcures.co.uk/missinglink.htm

Can't recommend this highly enough my elder dog is on this my sister sent it back with me from the USA, and when he ran out a few week's back wasn't aware I could buy it here, however some more came this morning from England were she had paid for it and sent it for my old fella, he has arthritis in his back leg's and was extremly grumpy due to his condition and I was unhappy about putting him on painkiller's as if natural things were working If and when the natural products dont work then I'l put him on painkiller's but this is brilliant you can only try it, he needs to be on it 3-4 weeks before he feel's the full benefit from this.
Ooh thanks for that - I may look into it as Eddy is on Hills J/D for his arthritis but it seems to have reached a point where it isn't improving matters anymore (although he's not getting worse either), however he also gets tear stains, smells, has trouble with digestion and his anal glands so if one thing can fix all those problems I'll definitely give it a go!

It doesn't say anything about improving their mental state although it does help their energy levels but you said your dog is in a better emotional state - is that just from being pain free?

I'm facing having to buy him activait aswell as the silly old sod's going senile so if this could help matters in that department I'd be so chuffed!!

Anyway, will talk it over with my mum who has offered to help out on the dog bills while my finances are a little 'tight'!