Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Allergies - joint supplement

Has anyone heard of joint supplements causing allergy related problems?
Scratch's skin was better after diet change it wasn't perfect by any means, but he was comfortable.
It seems to be getting worse and have been thinking if an ingredient in joint supplements could be triggering it
Hoping someone has some advice
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Not sure Em, but the Glucosamine I take is derived from shell fish and you are warned that people with sea fish allergies shouldn't take it.
Might be worth you finding out what is in the supplements you are giving Scratch.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Not sure Em, but the Glucosamine I take is derived from shell fish and you are warned that people with sea fish allergies shouldn't take it.
Might be worth you finding out what is in the supplements you are giving Scratch.
Interesting, I have the number for them and am going to give them a call tomorrow. It has Glucosamine in it
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 11:18 AM
It likely won't be the joint supplement (the actual glucosamine/chondroitin, etc) but likely the flavorings and additives used to make it palatable to dogs. I had a chewable multivitamin I had to stop giving my dog ( I just switched brands) because she was allergic to the flavorings in it.

Try another brand and see if that helps.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
It likely won't be the joint supplement (the actual glucosamine/chondroitin, etc) but likely the flavorings and additives used to make it palatable to dogs. I had a chewable multivitamin I had to stop giving my dog ( I just switched brands) because she was allergic to the flavorings in it.

Try another brand and see if that helps.
I have stopped the one he has been having and see how that goes and talk to the vet on Monday, it is a powder I add to his food and has no additives, flavouring or preservatives, it has MSM which is a natural sulfur am not sure if that can do it.

Ingredients are
-Glucosamine HCl
-Chondroitin Sulfate
-MSM
-Manganese Gluconate
-Calcium Ascorbate (Vit C)
-Zinc
-Copper
-Vit E
I didnt get a chance to ring the company today (long story) but will definately do it on Monday.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Glucosamine is found in the cell walls of joint and connective tissue, particularly crab and other shell fish.
A lot of folk have an allergy to shell fish so it is just possible Scratch has too.
Let us know what you find out.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Glucosamine is found in the cell walls of joint and connective tissue, particularly crab and other shell fish.
A lot of folk have an allergy to shell fish so it is just possible Scratch has too.
Let us know what you find out.
I will do, he more than likely is, he is allergic to just about everything why not add crustaceans to the list, I stopped it after I posted and I think he is getting less itchy but still not good, he has to go back to the vets this week again and I am going to ring the company who makes it and see if they have heard of dogs having allergy response to their product before, but after thinking for ages the itching has gotten worse since I added that to his diet. Unless it is just bad timing and it is something else, but I will find out soon I guess