Our sister sites
Our sister sites
becks1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Occasional dog on dog aggression

Hi all,
This is my situation. I have an AMbulldog X Staffy Sadie who i have had for 5 months now she is a rescue, fantastic dog and plays well with most other dogs, she even puts up with a yorkie pup who is a little snappy to her, she just puts her paw on her and looks other way but when we are out on walks i let Sadie of lead most dogs she greats and sniffs strolls off and thats it but she has been known to have a grumble and even a go at another dog (not while in my care).
I put her back onto her lead when i see another dog coming, walk her past praising her for ignoring it and then treating her before letting her back off lead, she never looks back to have a go she just wants to get back to playing! So am i doing the right thing? Can i stop the aggresive behavior??
Thanks in advance
Becky
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I think you are doing the right thing and i would make sure that anyone else who walks her are very trustworthy and do the same thing, no telling her off for growling or this could make her worse.

As you say she likes some dogs it doesn't sound like she is really dog aggressive, not all dogs like all dogs, just like not all people get on. You may well find that the dogs she grumbles at/tells off are adolescent, or just a bit boisterous or ill mannered -maybe she just doesn't like them!

I would keep up with what you are doing.

How old is she?
becks1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks, i am the only person who walks her so i can keep up with that. Sadie is a rescue so not exactly sure of her age but think she is approaching 3 years.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2008, 12:36 PM
yeah i would keep doing what you are doing then. If you know there are dogs that she does like then i would continue letting her meet them, and if she has only ever grumbled at other dogs i would still let her have a sniff of them and carry on her walk....giving her a chance to be friendly. If she does grumble i would treat it lightly and call her then treat her as she pays attention to you and walks away.

My last dog was a rescue and was very scared of large dark dogs initially, we then found out that there was an irish wolf hound in the road where he previously lived that used to attack him regularly.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2008, 06:10 AM
I think it would be fair to assume that dogs - like other animals, including birds - might not like another dog for whichever reason.

I knew a person who would spray her dog with her perfume, just to make it smell good... I didn't like the perfume, and I could imagine other dogs wouldn't like it much either... lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 09:37 AM
It is difficult when it`s just the occasional dog. Shamus bristles at un-neutered males but happily that`s as far as it goes. How about working on getting her more interested in you than other dogs? (This works with my GSDs) I play ball games and my dogs are more interested in the ball than in meeting and greeting.
becks1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi claire and daisy :O)
This works for us when down at the river, nothing gets in the way of Madam and the water lol but the dogs just are much more interesting when they come along and there is no river! How would you suggest i get her more interested in me and the ball please???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Does she have Special Toy? If so, that could just come out on those `difficult` occasions? If not - create one by playing with it yourself then putting it back in your pocket when she shows interest. Drives `em mad with desire, that!
becks1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks i will try her raggy toy later. Much appreciated thanks