View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2008, 01:50 PM
When I got Ben I put him in a crate next to my bed... He was so little and so scared... I let him know I was right beside him, and took him out to potty several times every night - when he woke up.

As he started to be able to hold it, he would sleep in my bed, unless I was doing nightshift. Now he's 4 months old, and he prefers his crate to sleep in, but as he needs to go potty early in the morning, he sleeps with me, until I'm ready to get up.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 01:59 PM
All my pups were put into a high sided cardboard box for the first few weeks piled with soft toys and a water bottle. I don't believe in dogs in bedrooms (but that's just my opinion) I think you make a rod for your back doin that.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 02:21 PM
My last pup slept in a cardboard box in the kitchen and settled to it very quickly. Never looked for anything else.
Mo? Well she is a rescue so she has her bed in the bedroom and creeps up on our bed about 4am each morning
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Both of ours sleep in our room and have always been very well behaved. I'm aware a lot of people won't do this but it's all down to personal preference. I have heard that when the pups are very small its a good idea to put loads of cuddly toys in the crate so they can nuzzle themselves in with them like they would if they were still part of the litter. Gradually remove them one by one til the pup learns to sleep with just one or two. I've seen it work for people but I haven't tried it myself
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Ours was 11 weeks old when we got her and we never did have any wimpering or crying. She made herself right at home from day one. Having said that, her crate has always been in our bedroom, about 18 inches away from the bed. This is one of the best decisions we made. I think it's made a huge difference to the way in which she's bonded with us. But she's a small dog and we're both very happy to share our room (and for part of the night our bed) with her. It's not for everyone.

We're collecting her little brother on Saturday. He'll only be seven weeks old. Lots of Beagle owners say that they'll be fine in the same crate from day one (Beagles are VERY sociable). But we'll see. I think I'll err on the side of caution and put them in separate side-by-side crates at first.

Beanie always gets into bed with us in the early hours of the morning. But we didn't allow this until she was house trained. It's going to be tricky with the new pup. My partner says the same rules should apply to him, but I'll feel mean letting the older one into bed with us and leaving the poor little pup in his crate on his own. Not sure how we'll handle that one!

My parents dog (or my dog when I was a teenager) always slept in the kitchen. And he was never happy about it. He always thought he should be on my parents bed When my dad used to put him to bed at night he'd grumble every step of the way to the kitchen. As a pup he cried all night for days on end. He was a Springer Spaniel - not sure if they have a reputation for not liking to be alone?
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2008, 05:54 AM
We have just cracked Wembley's sleep time at night...we were going to leave crate downstairs and see how that went. On his first night I slept downstairs on the floor next to the crate. The second night I slept away from the crate on the sofa and the third night I slept upstairs but may as well have slept downstairs for all the times I had to take him outside. He sleeps in a high sided box next to the bed now and if he cries, I cough to let him know I am there. He has his heat pad and a t shirt of mine in there. I would rather he slept near me, it means I can be with him more.
(and it is quieter for us, and the neighbours)!
Good luck with whatever you decide!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 01:10 PM
well the plan is! to sleep in the lounge for the first 3/4 odd nights and have pup in a high sided cardboard box, with a jumper of mine!
i can wake up every couple of hours and take her straight to the loo outside (heaven!)

i will get her a crate with my jumper &one of them heated snuggle teddies!! the door with be left open and that will be in the kitchen and i will put her in there when i go to bed after, will possible wake up every few hours for the next week or 2 to take her out to the loo!

the kitchen is quite big but the floor area isnt too big so i dont mind if she wanders about, her food & water will be in there anyway, prob leave a night light on and a radio or something or leave the blind half open as its a black out blind!

so very exciting! gardens bigger than expected aswell, i thought it was about 20ft but turns out its about 50odd! so nice play area too! they have a oldy boyg next door & ive heard a couple of dogs barking, i know a few people in the area from when i walked roggie anyway!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 01:46 PM
I think it is your own personal choice but I like to have mine up in my room with me at least for a few days, usually a few weeks 'til I feel they have settled. I know some people would never do this but I do and never had any problems later.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Gosh the first few nights can be tough going...but best not say anything beyond that.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2008, 07:51 AM
my dogs slept right next to me, in a little bed on the floor, when they were pups. When they woke up I could put a hand down and give a little cuddle. They still sleep next to the bed, but only cos we let them, they would just as happily sleep downstairs (which Akita actually does most nights, think the bedroom gets too warm for her).
Indy never slept much anyway.... 4-5 hours a night for the first few months! I felt like the mum of a newborn baby
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2