Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:26 PM

Improve your road or street

There is a programme on channel 4 just now where instead of "revamping a house" they revamp a street to see if they can add value to every house in it.

If you could had their budget £10,000 for 10 houses I think what would you do to improve your street???

Karen
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I WOULD KNOCK MY STREET DOWN, its beyond help
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
It can't be Kerrie. Honestly it must have some plus points ie you live there
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Easy!

Cut all nextdoors leylandi down which shade my front garden.Im pretty limited to what i can grow in front due to the moisture hungry conifers making it in-hospitable for most plants.

Napalm the front garden of house 2 doors along because the weeds are hip height and also remove their single monster conifer.Lay new turf,a few colourful bushy shrubs and send them all on a basic horticulture course so they know how to look after it all.

The large triangle of grass opposite owned by council-rotovate it all and plant mexican orange blossom,French Lavender and cut down the big horrendous Sycamore which self seeds everywhere it shouldnt.Turning this area into a shrubbery would stop the boy racer opposite parking his bazzed up car on it.

Resurface the road with proper asphalt and not the tar/grit combo councils like to use cause its cheap!

Resurface the paths-cause they have been patched up where Transco dug them up a few years ago.

oops-run out of budget!!!
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Move everyone out and drop an atom bomb on it
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Agreed - knock the whole lot down and live in tents - they look a thousand times nicer than the houses around here
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Mine would be - re-pave the street and the pavement due to Transco too. Replant the tree's that Transco "systematicaly killed" when digging up the street.

Also there is a piece of "loosely called" garden/planting that belongs to the council it is about 40ft long and 8ft wide they planted it but left it open it got driven iver and used as a car park by the same workmen who planted it the previous week while they planted another area
Then after neighbours complaining they fenced it with lovely wrought iron it is nice but sadly it now is just fence because the plants it is protecting were flattened. It is now just weeds We well about 8 to 9 households said if they the council come and even clen out the plants/weeds and dig it over we will plant and look after it - nothing ever happens even after almost 16 months of complaining.
So I would plant that area with Lavender, and possibly hebe's for all year round continuity. I would add some poppies (pavers) too because I love them. And plant three tree's in there one either end and one in the centre nothing to overpwering maybe beech?
And repaint the metal fencing a nice deep green. Rather than black.

Knock down the porch opposite and rebuild it because it is bright cheap red bricks - YUK.

If we had any money left I'd have a street party.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 08:16 PM
They are destroying all our countryside here for factories and housing estates
it used to be really nice once, but now it's an overcrowded dump
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
well I have to admit that probably the worst thing in my street is our HOUse !!! :LOL die to the fact we have not long finished renovating the inside, the front garden is non existent - weeds, mud and 3 cars parked in the garden - we are waiting on building warrant to start our extension which will make our house lovely, but at the moment its a huge embarrasment to the whole street.

I have to say we are very lucky our street is really nice, its all people who have lived there for years, everyones garden is lovely and tidy ( apart from ours !!) and the road is good, well lit and well taken care of - the only thing I would do with the 10,000 is probably buy the teenager of the family along the road a garage so that he doesnt have to work on his souped up car inthe middle of the street. he is a really nice boy but has a fascination with sad boy racer cars and all his friends usually come down in their sad boy racer cars too and set our over sensitive car alarm off everytime they go past with their noisy exhausts - thats all I would change I love my street !!

dani
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I would move everybody out and have it to myself
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >