Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 08:52 PM

In pain when passing stools

Hi Our dog sometimes crys out when doing a poo and runs away from it as it comes out.
It only used to happen now and again I thought it was due to his habbit of eating most of our childrens hard plastic toys.
But latley it has been more often I am going to make a apointment to take him to the vets next week.
I thought it might be anal gland problem but he does not display any symptoms.

His poo is normal hard formed poo no blood mucus or anything else nasty.

Any Ideas of what it could be.

Kathryn
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 09:17 PM
what do you feed him?
too many bones can make vv hard poo
I made the mistake with ben and he was crying like a seagul while straining to poo
a liver meal sorted that out
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Could be anal gland or it could be that one of the plastic toys has bitten back and caused some damage. Sometimes when the lining of the gut is damaged it sticks to its self and makes the tube smaller, this could cause pain.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't rule out the anal glands being the problem. Hope the poor little mite is better soon.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
If he is in the habit of chewing and swallowing your child's plastic toys I suggest you remove the toys from where he is able to get at them. It's only a matter of time till they cause him some serious damage, if they haven't all ready.

Make the appointment for the vet real soon if he's appearing to be in pain.
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If he is in the habit of chewing and swallowing your child's plastic toys I suggest you remove the toys from where he is able to get at them. It's only a matter of time till they cause him some serious damage, if they haven't all ready.

Make the appointment for the vet real soon if he's appearing to be in pain.
I am not a total idiot and leave toys for my dog to eat but as I have four children and a dog who will try anything to get something to chew that he shouldn't he jumps stair gates opens door it is not always possible to watch him 24/7
He has kongs, chews and all sorts of dog toys to chew but prefers to sneek off with a toy if he can. As you can see if you read my post a apointment is being made asap.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fourfeet View Post
I am not a total idiot and leave toys for my dog to eat but as I have four children and a dog who will try anything to get something to chew that he shouldn't he jumps stair gates opens door it is not always possible to watch him 24/7
He has kongs, chews and all sorts of dog toys to chew but prefers to sneek off with a toy if he can. As you can see if you read my post a apointment is being made asap.
I didn't say you were a "total idiot".
I also have kids and ensure that their toys are kept out of the dogs reach. Invariabley one or two will got left lying around and have to be picked up, but the dogs here aren't allowed a free rein in the house so if they do pick up a stray toy it's rescued from their clutches pretty smart.

I read your post stating that an appointment is going to be made for next week. I was merely suggesting that if you suspect that a piece of toy may be causing this and if your dog is clearly in pain, a week is a long time to wait. The sooner he's seen the better imo.
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Update. It was blocked anal glands that caused his discomfort whilst having a poo.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Glad your vet has sorted it for your poor dog, is he on ABs or are you going to have to empty them frequently?
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
The vets said they were rather full so we are just seeing how it goes for now. The other thing he saiod was to maybe add some bran to his diet as that may help.
The vet also said he didn't seem to have much muscle tone in the bum area which might be why they filled up. He saids this is sometimes the case in dogs that don't wage their tails very much.

Our dog hardly wags his tail so maybe there is some truth in it.
I will have to try and get him wagging lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >