Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:06 AM

Why Why Why???!!!/pulling out plants

Why does he eat all the plants in the garden?? Hes only 16 weeks so hes only young but even so!

It is driving me mad. He will run around the gardne like a mad fool riping up plants and eating them. Its not just our garden but my mums as well. I don't feel like I can let him loose out there without coming out and finding we have plants shreded all over the garden.

I understand the grass thing but why the plants.

He goes mad out there. I let him out to find that he had eaten our aser that was in a pot and it was down to the stalk. This was given to my DP as a present from his mum to remeber his dad who loved them. It made me so angry.

We don't have a lovely garden so im not garden proud but I would like some garden left! and I don't want him doing it to my mums garden as she does like her garden!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Stephi103
Why does he eat all the plants in the garden?? Hes only 16 weeks so hes only young but even so!

It is driving me mad. He will run around the gardne like a mad fool riping up plants and eating them. Its not just our garden but my mums as well. I don't feel like I can let him loose out there without coming out and finding we have plants shreded all over the garden.

I understand the grass thing but why the plants.

He goes mad out there. I let him out to find that he had eaten our aser that was in a pot and it was down to the stalk. This was given to my DP as a present from his mum to remeber his dad who loved them. It made me so angry.

We don't have a lovely garden so im not garden proud but I would like some garden left! and I don't want him doing it to my mums garden as she does like her garden!
Hi Stephi Why/ Because he is a puppy and puppies use their mouths to explore the world as a toddler uses its hands. Puppies grow out of this behavior when they realize the plants offer no reward in the form of something tasty. Distract your puppy with a squeaky toy or similar and he will soon learn to leave the plants alone.

When Amy was little she pulled out all my newly planted bedding plants while I was not watching her for 5 mins ....
Stephi103
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks!

I will use the distraction!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Stephi103
Thanks!

I will use the distraction!
Stephi I think the puppy phase passes all to quickly human babies make a mess for much longer..and there is more of it
Jackie Bourke
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Stephi,

Some plants are extremely toxic to dogs & kids. Best to keep your eye on your puppy.

My two pruned everything they could get their gums around when they were pups
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
We've got nothing in our garden bar grass and 2 big trees... Max doesn't dig though.

Instead he like to wee on the dirt and then run through it back into the house, leaving pint-sized puppy paw prints everywhere!

He's quite the artist!
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Our 9 month old Golden Retriever has eaten my garden since he was a tiny pup. He has pruned all my shrubs, removed the weed and water lillies from the ponds, dug holes all over the place and the lawns are now big mud patches with odd bits of grass in them. I used to have a lovely garden and spent hours in it and it used to annoy me that it was all being ruined and it never occurred to me - very stupid I know - that he wouldn't use the paths but run through the borders instead.
I am slowly fencing in my borders so he cant lie in them and he is, very slowly, starting to leave the plants alone. He did try eating my fig trees in the conservatory but I moved them for a couple of weeks and he didn't bother with them when I put them back.
I keep telling myself that he is growing out of it and I would rather have a tatty garden than no dog so keep smiling and hopefully one day your pup will grow out of it.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Newly planted plants are often removed by even grown up dogs and I have concluded it is because you have handled them or that they smell of strange people. Wearing 'Marigolds' help when the dog is older but its a pups job to investigate anything and everything and is one of the reasons why youngsters should always be accompanied when in the garden. Some plants are best not eaten as are snails, stones and lumps of wood.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Our pup completely decimated the back garden within two weeks of her arrival. So we decided to get one up and dug up nearly everything and relaid it with golden quartz. Now she just tries to rip up the underlay