View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Well neither me nor OH are big drinkers. Occasionally we will have a beer or a bottle of wine with dinner on the weekend, but other than that we only drink when out at the pub with friends. Very occasionally there will be an all nighter but because we dont drink much lol we usually dont tend to make it LOL We both enjoy a drink and i would say we definitely drink more in the summer - you cant beat an ice cold jug of pimms with dinner on a beautiful warm summer's evening in the garden! But overall i think we drink very very little and to be honest i cant remember the last time either of us was drunk!
My ex was an alcoholic and it was awful. Awful to watch and really really awful to be around. He couldnt go a day without drinking, and drinking quite a lot. I hated it.
So i agree with most - its fine to enjoy it in moderation. But the effects of alcohol abuse are horrible and i would never want to go down that slippery slope and if i saw someone i know start to slide, i'd do everything i could to help them stop. (my ex was way beyond help in every way possible and getting away from him was the best thing i haev ever done. I did try to help him stop though until i realised that there was no helping him.)
Oh i also want to add that we always have a fridge full of non alcoholic drinks, J2O's, coke, lilt, fruit juice, etc etc for when people who arent big drinkers or who are driving come over. (and for my general consumption while i am at home all day now and there is no nice cold drinks vending machine nearby lol)
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't say i'm a big drinker i don't go out and get bladdered.
i do like a drink with my tea on a sunday maybe a bottle of wine
other half is not a big drinker either he'll have one once in a blue moon

my mum's an alcoholic well was the last time i saw her about 7 years ago
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Well, the reply's so far have surprised me I must say. I thought I was the only one who said NO to a drink but it appears a few of you have had similar experiences and do not drink.

What concerns me is why so many mothers hit the bottle ? I too over the years have suffered abuse from a volatile mother, which later in life appeared to have been aggrevated by alcohol. This caused a rift between us and we didn't see or speak for 8 years

Keep them coming........
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm fussy about what I drink. REAL ales, no 'lager' for me! Unless it's an unusual one like the Chinese ones etc. Decent wine and single malt whiskys are a favourite of mine. Blended stuff is for putting in my hot chocolate.

I can't remember the last time I went out and got hammered! These days a couple of pints is enough so I can't be bothered to get up and get any more...
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2006, 07:37 AM
tea coffee and water
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I have at times been tee total, these days i drink occasionally, a nice cold bud in the summer or rum punch on holiday. Neither of my parents were much of a drinker either. Also both sons one 26 rarely drinks and the 18 year old is just a social drinker, Never known either to be drunk, but both drive and value their licences too much , if they are going to drink they leave their keys with me. Oh is a very moderate drinker, but likes a bud while watching the rugby.
The only thing about always being sober is, you realize just how boring or stupid other people can be when drunk.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 07:58 AM
I HATE IT my Father drank too much and along with his medication and sparce food was a very nasty person and it was my job to look after him until he passed away last year, I find it very hard remembering the loving times with him instead of the hateful hurtful ones.

I do have a drink but have to be careful as the medication I take says its not a good idea so have a weak brandy occasionally.

OH likes a REAL ale every evening, I wish he would cut down but he cannot, says it relaxes him, worries me he will end up like my Father. Real ale much better for you than the chemical stuff though, when OH has a drink of Carlsberg, he becomes a nasty person saying hurtful things, strange the effect of chemicals on the brain eh.

If we are sensible alcohol is not a problem but trouble is once you get into the habit of just one it seems some folk cannot stop there.

Bad experiences stay with you forever.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Well i havn't seen my father sober in about 4 years

His sister died from drinking/failure of the liver 7 years ago, you would have thought he would cut down drinking, not drink more ?

Me on the other hand, i'd have a bottle of wine a night if i could. But OH doesn't like me drinking to much during the week, so I drink 1-2 glasses a night
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
I've never drank i'm a good boy (or should that read boring)
though i do have a bottle of baileys at christmas
i come from a family of Non-Drinkers apart from my maternal grandfather who was scottish (say no more)

You should get your lips on some Scottish Whisky Stew it will soon perk you up
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm perky enough
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »