Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Maybe not you, although tbh I am not sure, but many on this thread have said that CM strings dogs up and someone even said Shadow was blue in the face !!

If you hold onto the end of a slip leash, against which a dog is pulling, then this is NOT domination, this is the dog fighting against the discipline, for want of a better word, of the lead.
he was stringing shadow up. like it or not, that's what he was doing.

well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. and holding the end of a lead is a very different thing to hanging your dog with it.

and also, if we are to believe that cm uses 'pack' techniques, then tell me when you see another dog put a lead around a dogs neck and tighten it. it's an old fashioned, barbaric method designed by humans to drain the dogs energy while he fights to breathe, of course he will then submit.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
This sort of sums it up...okay not choking or kicking,just hitting.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRE7Zv7xdE
bingo.................
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
You are assuming that a) the dog has a choice and b) the dog undestands the choice.
And ....If my memory serves me correctly...CM was holding the dog away from him in an effort to stop the dog biting him - after provoking the dog into the reaction in the first place

From what I could see, the dog freaked, in a scared way to an unknown sensation whilst it was in a highly tense/stressed situation (being forced to parallel walk with a dog it did not get on with). If CM was indeed using his TM 'bite' is it really surprising that the dog reacted this way to him, when it was already tense about the dog walking next to it.
Hmmm ... you are getting close Tassle. I have said before that bearing in mind Shadow's breeding, his approach was all wrong. tbf, Cesar has admitted that wolf crosses are different from non-wolf crosses, (by that, I mean recent wolf crosses), and that his handling of Shadow was not exactly brilliant. We don't have a satellite so cannot get the latest Dog Whisperers, but I believe he has done at least one episode featuring wolf crosses, but not absolutely sure about this. I would love to see how he handles them.

As for holding Shadow away from him, too b. right !! Having kicked the poor dog, I would have done exactly the same thing ! I see nothing wrong with this, it is exactly the behaviour of a good pack leader. Even pack leaders make mistakes.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Hmmm ... you are getting close Tassle. I have said before that bearing in mind Shadow's breeding, his approach was all wrong. tbf, Cesar has admitted that wolf crosses are different from non-wolf crosses, (by that, I mean recent wolf crosses), and that his handling of Shadow was not exactly brilliant. We don't have a satellite so cannot get the latest Dog Whisperers, but I believe he has done at least one episode featuring wolf crosses, but not absolutely sure about this. I would love to see how he handles them.

As for holding Shadow away from him, too b. right !! Having kicked the poor dog, I would have done exactly the same thing ! I see nothing wrong with this, it is exactly the behaviour of a good pack leader. Even pack leaders make mistakes.
I am shocked you see nothing wrong with this.

This was self preservation on CM's behalf.
It is not the behaviour of a good pack leader and cannot see how it could be inturperted as such. A good pack leader stays calm, does not push the stress levels beyond that which the dog can cope. CM does this time and time again - for what I can only believe, is to give good TV.

As for Pack leaders who make mistakes - they do not remain pack leaders.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
bingo.................
Thanks for that Ramble. It is the episode I remember, with the poor chicken. I felt far more sorry for the chicken than I did the dog. I did not like to see the chicken used in such a fashion, I agree totally with anyone who says so that that WAS cruel, and good on the chicken for crapping on CM !

The slap ? I disagree it is a slap, it is a robust Cesar "bite" ... a bit more robust than I personally would have used, I agree, but the noise you hear is the rattle of the collar and the sloshy noise of the dog's jowls. Although more jowly, we had a bloodhound when I was a teenager, and if you patted his head, his jowls made a slapping noise - like that noise we can make with our cheeks if we have liquid in our mouth. I think the noise we hear is a mix of the rattling collar and the dog jumping and causing his jowls to make that slapping noise.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for that Ramble. It is the episode I remember, with the poor chicken. I felt far more sorry for the chicken than I did the dog. I did not like to see the chicken used in such a fashion, I agree totally with anyone who says so that that WAS cruel, and good on the chicken for crapping on CM !

The slap ? I disagree it is a slap, it is a robust Cesar "bite" ... a bit more robust than I personally would have used, I agree, but the noise you hear is the rattle of the collar and the sloshy noise of the dog's jowls. Although more jowly, we had a bloodhound when I was a teenager, and if you patted his head, his jowls made a slapping noise - like that noise we can make with our cheeks if we have liquid in our mouth. I think the noise we hear is a mix of the rattling collar and the dog jumping and causing his jowls to make that slapping noise.
Ok so where is that line drawn?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Gnasher that is not a jowl sound, that is a slap.
It seems you think CM isn't always right from your posts???
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2009, 07:33 PM
bingo.................
Yep, thatS a hit alright..not to mention the stress he is putting the chicken under..
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Again Rune, that is your opinion. And your opinion is NOT the only one, nor necessarily the correct one. It is YOUR opinion to which you are entitled.

I am entitled to mine. That does not give you the right to say it is rubbish and query how I could forward my opinion as a serious argument.

Anyone who disagrees with anyone else can just say "rubbish"! The secret is to be able to argue and debate, with passion if you like, but to just say "rubbish" without qualification ! - is just plain childish !
i would have thought qualifying it was unnecessary. common sense should kick in and tell you that the dog wasn't 'doing it to himself!'

however as common sense seems in short supply ---an analagy. the dog on the treadmill---who could also have been said to 'do it to himself' after all if he had stayed on the treadmill it wouldn't have happened.

if cm had let go of the lead the dog would not have been hung---as he is supposedly the one with a higher iq that would have been a good thing to do. hanging on till the dog collapsed was not a good thing to do.

a long time ago i hung dogs---it was an accepted way of training 30 years ago. i never even thought of saying it was the dogs fault. the fact that you are trying to defend cm's behaviour by saying it is actually shows how much we have moved forward in training i suppose.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 07:43 PM
bingo.................
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I am shocked you see nothing wrong with this.

This was self preservation on CM's behalf.
It is not the behaviour of a good pack leader and cannot see how it could be inturperted as such. A good pack leader stays calm, does not push the stress levels beyond that which the dog can cope. CM does this time and time again - for what I can only believe, is to give good TV.

As for Pack leaders who make mistakes - they do not remain pack leaders.
I have said frequently in the past about the Shadow episode that I WAS shocked by CM's behaviour. However, having ballsed up, he is, as pack leader, entitled to protect himself. He does this by holding the dog away from his body, to protect himself.

Hal was an alpha male. He made a mistake once with his son Woody. Actually, I blame myself, it was my fault. We were sitting outside the pub, OH, me, Hal and Woody, both dogs on leads, sitting side by side. I gave both dogs a titbit, almost simultaneously, but Hal slightly first. Woody made the mistake of lungeing at Hal's titbit, and both dogs ended up with a small nip each on the muzzle, trivial, only just broken the skin, but each dog had a slightly bleeding wound. Hal had put such insubordination down swiftly and ruthlessly. Woody submitted to Hal, and Hal sat there looking anywhere but at Woody, obviously very shocked that he had done this. It is hard to put what happened into words, because it happened so quickly, and was trivial. A dab of tea tree oil on each tiny wound, and all was well.

The point I am making was that Hal had made a mistake, his reaction to Woody was totally over the top, we had never allowed such intransigence ... we, as pack leaders, said who ate, when, or not, Hal was out of order, and he knew it. Having done the looking anywhere but at us, he lay down at our feet curled up with his tongue coming out a few times. Woody lay down beside him, Hal licked him, peace was restored. The world was at one again.

Even pack leaders make mistakes. The TRUE pack leader will learn from it, and not do it again. Hopefully CM has learned that you cannot kick a wolf cross, I am not sure even his more gentle "nudge" is appropriate. I personally would not use any contact with a wolf cross in such circumstances, but would "claim" my space with my body language. This does work well with wolf crosses. (I'm being kicked off the computer now by OH - pack leader )
Page 102 of 125 « First < 2 52 92 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112 > Last »