View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 05:58 PM

Six month old puppy urinating on the sofa.

one of my neighbours has an adorable king charles spanial,hes 6 months old,and hes still wetting indoors and likes to do it on the sofa,hes got access to a garden,he has regular walks,any ideas will be gratefully recieved.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Your friend needs to go right back to basic puppy toilet training. This means taking the pup out as soon as it wakes up, after it has been playing, after meals & drinks, whenever any signs such as sniffing & circling occur, and every hour in between. She must accompany the dog outside and wait until he performs so that she can praise & reward and thus teach the puppy that outside is the only acceptable (& rewarding) place to toilet. It is no good just leaving the door open for him or putting him outside on his own.

When he is indoors she must watch him like a hawk to prevent the opportunity of him making a mistake. If she cannot watch him he should be confined to one room or a crate.

Needless to say he should not be allowed on the sofa until he is 100% reliable
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:10 PM
oh thanx ill tell her 2morrow,must admit i never had any probs with ben a couple of wet nights,but put paper down,and no messes,and been good since (touches wood )
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I have a pic somewhere of i think it was Reeno at about 12week old with a toilet roll in his mouth just stood on the sofa. We saw the sofa was damp afew mins later but didnt know how come. It wasnt untill we got the photos developed and you could see him peeing onthe sofa as we took the pic. When i can i will try and dig it out for you. He only ever did that once though.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2005, 05:58 PM
managed to see my neighbour and passed on the advice given shes been afvised to put him in a crate at night,yesterday she had him out side virtully all day (weather was good) and he didint *go* but waited till he went indoors,just dont like going outside in the cold. oh well shes got a long job ahead of her.