View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:43 PM
The KC and Beagle Breed Club DO NOT RECOMMEND OR REQUIRE hip scoring or any other kind of health testing of beagles. Yet there are occasional cases of hip dysplasia in Beagles (as there are in most breeds)

Ramble, sure - as you say, greyhounds have no tendency towards hip dysplasia yet they can be tested if a breeder wanted to be absolutely certain that the condition wouldn't creep in.

I can appreciate that it would be overzealous for the KC to require or even recommend hip screening of greyhounds in order to comply with their accredited breeder program.

But what about breeds where the typical hip score is 4? 6? 8? 12? 16?

OK, even then I appreciate that some breeds with high scores are found not to suffer symptoms.

But what about when the occasional dog in a breed is found to have symptoms of hip dysplasia. Isn't it then time to at least recommend hip scoring?

There must be a reason why they choose not to.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
The KC and Beagle Breed Club DO NOT RECOMMEND OR REQUIRE hip scoring or any other kind of health testing of beagles. Yet there are occasional cases of hip dysplasia in Beagles (as there are in most breeds)

Ramble, sure - as you say, greyhounds have no tendency towards hip dysplasia yet they can be tested if a breeder wanted to be absolutely certain that the condition wouldn't creep in.

I can appreciate that it would be overzealous for the KC to require or even recommend hip screening of greyhounds in order to comply with their accredited breeder program.

But what about breeds where the typical hip score is 4? 6? 8? 12? 16?

OK, even then I appreciate that some breeds with high scores are found not to suffer symptoms.

But what about when the occasional dog in a breed is found to have symptoms of hip dysplasia. Isn't it then time to at least recommend hip scoring?

There must be a reason why they choose not to.
Sorry now I see what you are saying.
Yes they shouldn't just recommend it they should absolutely insist on it...don't know why they don't. I don't know why they don't do a lot of things though.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry I've only read about half the posts because I'm very tired...but, shouldn't ALL breeds have to have some kind of compulsory health testing before breeding? I know they don't, but it would be a step in the right direction. Even healthy breeds can have genetic problems, so surely it would be better to have all dogs tested. Too many people breed dogs badly, some of them KC reg, some not. There are KC reg puppies (Staffies and CHihuahuas mostly) on certain puppy selling websites advertised as 'ideal Christmas presents' and 'will keep until December 24th' etc. Maybe if the KC only registered pups whose parents were health checked there wouldn't be all this. I agree with some of the points that buying a KC reg pup is no guarantee of quality, but I would never buy anything other. The BBC pulling out of Crufts is a bit of a relief. TBH the coverage has been crap lately. And I can't stand Ben Fogle!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:01 PM
below..link to the beagle health survey.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down...0/hsbeagle.pdf
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:24 PM
2. Both breeders performed ALL of the health tests required by the KC and the breed club. As did the breeder of the father of both pups.
Which health tests Scarter? The KC dont stipulate any specific health tests for Borders, but many are having hip scoring etc done. As you dont care for the KC, why would what they "recommend" mean anything to you? Why wouldnt you seek out a breeder who did hip and eye testing because it was in the breed and their responsibility as a good breeder to ensure they bred healthy pups from healthy parents?

Re: Pedigree, thanks, you will come to realise that rarely do companies like that do anything that would mean they lost any money!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Forget that post above then you just answered it yourself, neither of the parents of either of your dogs had any health tests performed.

I haven't heard of anyone with a beagle with SRM.
Then you need to look further, how long have you owned dogs for?

One click found this:
As a Health Coordinator for the breed I get more calls about this than any other condition and it seems to cause more distress to the owners than anything else since it debilitates so much.
English site from here:
http://www.perdack.co.uk/molesend/SRM.html

Just because you personally havent seen it doesnt mean it isnt there, you sound like the NI folk!!!! which is why I have asked how long you have owned dogs for.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Unless a breed has a mean of 0 for hips then the breed is not HD free
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Forget that post above then you just answered it yourself, neither of the parents of either of your dogs had any health tests performed.

Then you need to look further, how long have you owned dogs for?
One click found this:

English site from here:
http://www.perdack.co.uk/molesend/SRM.html

Just because you personally havent seen it doesnt mean it isnt there, you sound like the NI folk!!!! which is why I have asked how long you have owned dogs for.

Hi Dawn 0 -1 year according to her profile
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Well what I have highlighted says it all doesn't it(that's a rhetorical question BTW)

What does the KC advise about finding a puppy-look on Gumtree ???? I don't think so

These people you have met are English Springer Spaniel owners/vets/gamekeepers etc ???
I'm not really sure what you're asking? Your sentences aren't constructed properly so apologies if I get this wrong, but I'll have a go:

1. Gumtree is a way of advertising online. Our breeder had an advert on KC's own search page and on Gumtree to broaden their chances of selling each pup. I was mentioning this purely to show that we didn't actively seek, via the KC website, a puppy that was KC reg'd, it's just that he was. We were after a pet that had been bred in suitable conditions from a dam and a sire that we had seen. Possibly naive but I tend to trust my instincts on these kind of things.

2. No idea, I never even asked. It's quite simple really. We met them on a walk with him, they advised he was a great looking pup and suggested we stud him (very likely just a passing comment, however). We knew nothing about it so made some enquiries but decided it was not for us. I have no idea if he would be good at it or if he meets the requirements as we never even got that far with it. It is not something we want to do.

Hope that helps?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I have yet to come accross anyone who has owned a rottie that has suffered from some of the listed health issues, but it doesnt mean they are not there,

And I show my dogs so have contact with a large amount of rottie owners and breeders
Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »