Our sister sites
Our sister sites
conkers
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Trainer Recommendations - Wakefield

Hi.

I've been lurking for a while and have seen a lot of good advise and wondered if you could extend some to me.

My 2 year old JRT x Cairn is generally a nice, obedient little dog. But. She has recently started barking and running at strangers whilst we are out walking. I dont know why this has started to happen but recognise that it is likely to be something that I am doing.

I want to get to the bottom of this ASAP and would like to get someone to help me - I am at a complete loss as to what to do (apart from keep her on the lead).

Can anyone suggest or recommend a trainer in the Wakefield area who can help me get through this?

Sorry for the long thread but I want to make sure that I get this right.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:32 PM
This is a fairly common problem. However it`s not that hard to solve IMO. I`m not really sure you need a traininer to tell you what to do if it`s only just started. You just need to be able to control her more?
Work on your basic training. When you come across a stranger, call her to you, ask her to sit and reward her. Or put her on lead and reward her.
If it happens when she`s on lead, turn her away from the stranger till she is calm, ask for a sit and reward her.
You are teaching her that it`s your job to take charge of your space, and giving her a safe place to be (beside mum) if she gets worried.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Hi.

I've been lurking for a while and have seen a lot of good advise and wondered if you could extend some to me.

My 2 year old JRT x Cairn is generally a nice, obedient little dog. But. She has recently started barking and running at strangers whilst we are out walking. I dont know why this has started to happen but recognise that it is likely to be something that I am doing.

I want to get to the bottom of this ASAP and would like to get someone to help me - I am at a complete loss as to what to do (apart from keep her on the lead).

Can anyone suggest or recommend a trainer in the Wakefield area who can help me get through this?

Sorry for the long thread but I want to make sure that I get this right.

Wakefield Dog Training Club run by Cath Chadwick
HTH