View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Did you experience a change of behaviour after castration?

Hi again.
Was just wondering if any of you who have had male dogs castrated when a little older saw any major differences in their behaviour for better or worse. I'm not really expecting Ivan to be any different but just wondered if he may change in any way?
Nic xx
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Sam was over 2 when he had the op. for health reasons. It made absolutely no difference to him at all. The vet said at the time that once they were mature their behaviour was established and wouldn't be altered.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
i have had two dogs neutered that were "older".

One was a JRT he was 7, he was a right little "wanderer". It did stop him being as one track minded!!

The other was my greyhound Blue and it definatly stopped him weeing up my furniture!!!

I am not saying (to others that may read this) that neutering is the answer for everything...but it helped in those cases!!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Not really 'older' as I got my Lab done at 12 months, but still absolutely no changes in behaviour. Fast forward 6 years and he still can't be trusted not to hump.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
All my boys were neutered late as they`re mature rescues - so they were done age 5, 8 and 4. I don`t know what their temperament was like before but I got 2 right afterwards and they didn`t seem to change in temperament, and it takes time for it to take effect so I assume they didn`t.
I have heard it can affect a nervous dog.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
My previous dog Max was neutered at 17 months and it did stop him marking and scenting all the time he did end up more obedient. Ollie is still just as bad for marking everything when we are out and sniffing every blade of grass and twig that gets in his way. He was done at 6 months.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys that's just as I thought
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Snip was castrated a little while ago at age 11. I've noticed absolutely no difference in him as yet, although some say it can take 6 months for the full effects of the castration to materialise. Hope Ivan's doing well!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
It changed the feral dogs behaviour for the better. He was becoming a problem with the other dogs and weeing in the house.

The weeing now is minimal but does still occur and he is better with the other dogs and a lot calmer in himself.

He actually became tamer the night he got back from the vets---but probably becasue he was so relieved to be back!

rune
alldogfamily
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I found this article that has some benefits of neutering male dogs. It doesn't really state that the dog will change just explains some health benefits of doing it.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2112&aid=911
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >