Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Teasing, Who Gets the Correction?

Anyone who has read my past descriptions of Sophie know that she's an older dog, fearful, and neurotic. There are certain things that trigger aggressive excitement in her. A high pitched distress cry, sudden fireworks, the raspberry sound...

Last night my daughter was just goofing around before bed. Sophie was seemingly sound asleep on the end of the bed with Callie beside her. My daughter crawled up and made a slight raspberry sound against my belly. I whispered " Shhh don't, that makes Sophie nuts". We both looked over and Sophie was still with her eyes closed.

In the way of children my daughter couldn't resist softly blowing into my tummy one more time. With that Sophie leaped to her feet and came racing over whining. My daughter jumped off the bed and Sophie leaped towards her nicking her chin with a tooth. Then for the last hour before bedtime Sophie kept a close eye on my daughter giving warning whines but keeping a distance.

My girl is a teen so she's not a young child and old enough to understand some dogs like some humans have their strange quirks. But I also felt that Sophie should know that showing aggression like that is wrong. I felt like clocking her in the snoot and pushing her off the bed. But everything happened so fast and I also know my kid gently provoked her...

Thoughts?
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Oh dear a tricky one I'd say technically both at fault
As you say it happened so fast
A gentle word maybe with daughter regarding how not to wind Sophie up as her actions could have resulted in a more serious injury
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2014, 02:20 PM
As you are all aware of the problem, perhaps moving Sophie from the bed prior to the goofing around would have been the best course of action.

Your daughter did provoke the situation especially after she had been told the likely results so a word there wouldn't go amiss.

Not sure what type of whining took place after the event, but if she was eyeing your daughter intently, then removal for a time out would probably have been wise
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Clarifying the whining, with her it's a substitute for growling. It can either mean "I'm incredibly frightened and don't know what I'm doing right now" or " I'm not happy with something right now and until it stops I'm going to be noisy".

Usually when she starts the fear whine she'll lay across my chest or lap as if to guard me when she's the scaredy dog.

I don't know why the raspberry sound sets her off so badly. She's always been like that.

Oh and another Sophie moment. One day I was watching a dog training video and a dog was being correct and whining at the instructor, Sophie leaped at the computer and almost knocked it over...she can whine but can't stand other dogs doing it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Was really surprised at mine today OH was watching football in the living room,roaring at the TV at some points.Lacey and I were in the kitchen and everytime he shouted in the other room she whined,seemed really frightened.I told him off of course and tried to settle her.When I think about it,she wouldn't be used to loud, and how could she understand it.Anyway,will be putting him out ASAP
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
The problem with correcting your dog for making an obvious vocal sound to let you know she is unhappy is that if corrected enough she will stop making the noise and then the only way you will know she is unhappy is when she bites you.

Perhaps you could try a program of de-sensitization where you can reward her at a distance when she doesn't react to the noise, if done slowly enough you will end up with the dog that comes running for food every time it hears a raspberry being blown
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2014, 12:48 PM
to be honest, if she were my dog i wouldn't blame her, your daughter did something she knew would upset the dog... she was told about it and still went ahead and did it. My old dog used to hate being blown at, my brother used to blow at her, we told him not to but he did it... if he got bitten i wouldn't have blamed the dog, he knew it upset her and so it would be his fault
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
to be honest, if she were my dog i wouldn't blame her, your daughter did something she knew would upset the dog... she was told about it and still went ahead and did it. My old dog used to hate being blown at, my brother used to blow at her, we told him not to but he did it... if he got bitten i wouldn't have blamed the dog, he knew it upset her and so it would be his fault
Fully agree!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by SusieL View Post
Fully agree!
Me too, you know your dog is reactive, you said your child is old enough to understand this, yet you allowed the situation to escalate.

Not sure about you wanting to clock her in the snoot to be honest, what would that do,

You need to protect both daughter and dog , and if daughter can't listen to you then you need to remove Sophie from any situations that might end up in her reacting to far.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2014, 02:09 AM
If you have kids you know sometimes it's not about "allowing the situation to escalate" it's frustration at Sophie being reactive to so very many things sometimes, that's all. One day I had an empty cat carrier that I put the rats in to change their cage.

The carrier was empty and I was trying to lift it back into to the storage space. Sophie eyed it and started whining and pawing. She had to inspect every inch of the carrier before she believed there was nothing in there. Callie isn't like her at all.

The only time he reacts strongly to anything is being watchful of strangers when we walk late night. Sophie reacts badly to everything from the raspberry sound to helium balloons.