18-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
he looks a perfect weight to me in that pic. just love his markings
Thanks ;o) Moo! Ha
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2010, 11:43 AM
With a new puppy every year, I am constantly changing how much, increasing it as the puppy grows, and then often cutting back once its growth levels off to maintain good body condition.

Sampson is in his first year with us. He lost weight on what his former partner was feeding him. Perhaps living in a home with a puppy has increased his needs. We have increased his food, and may more because he is still a little ribby.

When we had Aster, I can't relate any changes we made to the time of the year.

I think he looks good, and you may want to cut back a little in the fall to maintain his current condition. I like the that ease I can make small adjustments feeding kibble.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Max tends to eat slightly less in the summer than the winter. Ocasionally he will just turn his nose up at a meal, mainly when it is really hot. I am much the same though, some days I just don't really feel like eating much when it is really warm.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 10:14 AM
M&M don't eat as much in the summer, mainly as they don't really eat when it's hot.

Recently, I've been struggling to 'force' one meal a day down them as it's been so hot they aren't interested.

I do tend to go by looks and appetite rather than seasons though.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I tend to give my dogs a little more food in winter. In the summer they dont get as much exercise because it's too hot and it would be unfair to take them on 12 mile treks up the Peak District so I cut their food down.

In the winter their exercise routine is more rigourous, the cool weather means the dogs are far more likely to run round more and they burn more calories having to keep warm. They will be living outside this winter and if the coming cold season as is harsh as the last then they will need a good layer of fat to keep the chill away.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I've cut Dylan's food down a little as he is definitely less active in this heat. Lily however, is as lazy in the summer as she was in the winter so her food has remained the same.

Woody looks spot on to me. (or should we call him Daisy now? )
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Would you believe he weighs 22.5kgs!!!!! Average for a show springer is 21!

Still, vets said he looks good (reason for trip to follow in new post!) and we should keep doing what we're doing and see how he is during winter.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2