Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:38 PM

Cattle Dogs

I met a Collie the other day and he was from a family of 'Cattle' Dogs. Not sure what the correct term is, basically I was told his family round up cattle and if the conventional method doesn't work, they bounce off the cattles backs. Are such dogs common? Oh said he has come across them before (when he used to be in that line of work).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:39 PM
the farmers use their collies for the cattle here. i dont like their training methods personally, sometimes the dogs get nasty if the cows dont move quick enough. i think thats a bit unfiar on the cows.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:42 PM
The only method I know of is nipping the ankles and snouts if they try to push the dog back. Bouncing off their backs?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=SLB;2180732]The only method I know of is nipping the ankles and snouts if they try to push the dog back. Bouncing off their backs?[/QUOTE]

Yep
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
the farmers use their collies for the cattle here. i dont like their training methods personally, sometimes the dogs get nasty if the cows dont move quick enough. i think thats a bit unfiar on the cows.
Yes, it does sound OTT when you put it like that, but I guess they are seen as cattle and that is that to a certain extent.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Yes, it does sound OTT when you put it like that, but I guess they are seen as cattle and that is that to a certain extent.
i know but the cows can be herded where they want to go without biting. one of the collies in the field is known for being pretty nasty though, its really gone for a cow not just nipped, yet they still continue to use it.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know but the cows can be herded where they want to go without biting. one of the collies in the field is known for being pretty nasty though, its really gone for a cow not just nipped, yet they still continue to use it.
Disgusting, poor cows
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Disgusting, poor cows
i know they use quad bikes to so there is no need for the two dogs when one of them isnt very nice. its tried to go for my dog before, when ive walked down the road. the cows cross the main road so i sat with my dog on one side while i waited for the cows to cross, then the farmers who were stood at the side didnt even aknowledge i was there (they were just stood blocking the path) and the collie went for daph, and they didnt even apologise. really riles me when people dont treat livestock with respect, or other "normal" people.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I remember walking up to a field with my grandad when i was really young ,he sent his collie off and just waited till the dog brought the cattle in .
As a boy from london it was amazing to watch..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Cattle dogs (Australian) are fabulous dogs. They nip to move the Cattle they dont attack or anything. They only "bounce" off backs of sheep or cattle if they are confined in a pen, a means of getting from one end to the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-u8Q_dL2c
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >