Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Message from Dorset and Manchester Police - NOT A SCAM OR JOKE

These messages have been passed on by Dorset Constabulary and Manchester Constabulary. They are not the easiest of reading, but they are genuine - I have colour-coded to make for easier reading. Please forward.

Becs

------------------------------

PLEASE READ AND TAKE NOTE:

Message from a lady

It was about 3 weeks ago, I was at the Shell station in London getting diesel. It was about 11:30 pm. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in a car.

The man that was driving asked me 'What kind of perfume do you
wear?' I was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said 'We are selling some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money. He then reached out of the car and handed me paper that was laminated; it had many perfumes on it. I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said, 'I have no money'. He said 'It is OK, we take cheque, cash or credit cards'. Then the people in the car began to laugh. I just got in my car and said no thanks.

Then I received this e-mail yesterday and it sent chills up my spine.

Please read this. Here is the e-mail I was sent :

Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 3:30 pm in the Tesco car park when two males asked what kind of perfume I was wearing.

Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous scent they were willing to sell me at a very reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an e-mail some weeks ago warning of a 'Wanna smell this neat perfume?' scam.

THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS ETHER! When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet, your valuables and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume' but thanks to the generosity of an e-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me.

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS AND PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.

"BEWARE OF NEW CAR-JACKING SCAM - NOT A JOKE! This is from Manchester Police.

Imagine you walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. Then you lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into reverse. You look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your parking space and you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window.

So,you unlock your doors and jump out of your car to remove the paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view....

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers appear
out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. Your engine would be running (Ladies would have their handbag in the car) and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. BE AWARE OF THIS SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED Just drive away and remove the paper from your window later and be thankful you read this notice. PLEASE inform all friends and family, especially women. A handbag contains all identification and you certainly do not want someone knowing your Home address, as they already have your keys!!!"

Steve Marsh
Government & Corporate Affairs
West Coast / Midlands
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Sad, but not surprising.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks Becs..have cross-posted to our car club...Dorset is very local to many of them

Sad old world though innit?
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2005, 03:48 PM
OMG thats terrible!
Carole
Supervisor

25-04-2005, 03:50 PM
the perfume story has been going around for ages
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 03:54 PM
That is very very scarey! I have posted it on another Pets Board in the hope that as many people as possible will be aware of this latest evil. Thanks very much Archaeopath, forewarned is forearmed in my eyes.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 04:13 PM
That is scarey....
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Seems this post is being cross posted all over Ihave posted the same under scams so that can be deleted now

MO
Carole
Supervisor

25-04-2005, 04:17 PM
just found this

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 04:22 PM
As someone who works frequently with the UK police forces, I must stress that hundreds of thousands of crimes are perpetrated on a daily basis, and very, very few make it to the media. That said, this could be yet another internet scam, but I did receive this from a genuine source

Whether either of these 'scams' are true or not, it doesn't hurt to be vigilent

Becs
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >