Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not understand why you would clap a dog?????????
Clapping means "patting" in Scotland
Or stroking rather.

Wys
x
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Or stroking rather.

Wys
x
Thank you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Or stroking rather.

Wys
x
Thanks, I am unfamiliar with the Scottish vernacular!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
I am a volunteer for a German Shepherd Rescue and over the last year I have come across two different types of behaviour in two seperate rescue GSD's which I personally think are related to the owner being pregnant.

1.Entire, house trained ,1 year old male GSD who started peeing in the house and showing fearful signs (flinching when he was clapped - as if he had been beaten up), and destruction of the wall.

2.Approx 2y/o male, neutered (for only two days - so entire hormones still around) and bit a visiting male family member without warning.

I am interested to know if any one else has seen any similar change in behaviour symptoms in their dog when they/partner was pregnant?

Does anyone know if any studies have been carried out in relation to this topic
Well, there don't seem to be any actual studies on this subject, as far as I know, but there does seem to be anecdotal evidence if you Google the subject

What I would imagine happens is that dogs can sense the hormones, but also the alterations in the owner's behaviour and maybe mood - if this then affects the way they behave towards the dog, it could affect the dog's own behaviour.

I'm not too sure about the examples you've given, in the sense that I can't see why a dog would be cringing nor bite, but perhaps this could occur?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
Thank you
Thanks, I am unfamiliar with the Scottish vernacular!
No probs, I only picked it up from a forum a while back

Wys
x
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Im 18 weeks pregnant and own 2 spayed bitches and a entire male and have had no real behaviour changes in any of them.

Rof has got a bit better with me taking things off him but i've put this down to training and not pregnancy, they were all a tad weird a few weeks ago but thats stopped x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I do not understand why you would clap a dog?????????
Haha that's what I used to say till I started holidaying in Scotland and people started to ask me if they could clap my dog! The first time i was like, urm yeah ok, expecting them to do a little dance clapping away at my dog
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Haha that's what I used to say till I started holidaying in Scotland and people started to ask me if they could clap my dog! The first time i was like, urm yeah ok, expecting them to do a little dance clapping away at my dog

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
A jag is Scottish for an injection, for when you're next in the Highlands
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Given the things dogs can detect medically in people by scent e.g. illnesses, various cancers, I'm sure they could pick up the change in biochemistry.

I have certainly anecdotally known people report behavioural changes, in cats and dogs, including marking behaviour indoors, in some cases before the owner knew they were pregnant.

I guess as with most situations some dogs won't care, some will take on new responsibilities e.g protectiveness, and some may be confused and insecure about a change they don't understand, hence the nervousness.

Certainly once people know they are pregnant they can unconsciously change their behaviour in various ways, which can then affect the dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >